compression garments - why?

Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:41 am - lubbock, TX
i hate it too
the waist band feels like it's about to cut me in half

it is like a pair of capris that fit "almost"

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

Renee H.
on 5/12/09 4:46 am - Bronx, NY
It can so be a pain in the butt to use but I say listen to your surgeon and then after a time, listen to your body.  Some surgeons don't use compression garments.  But some do and have their reasons.  Whatever your surgeon suggests, I would do - especially if you are early out from surgery.  After a little while, you will know how secure you feel and whether you will need to wear some kind of support beyond the recommended time for using compression.  I used mine for over a year after LBL.  It make me feel pulled together, gave me support, and smoothed out the areas that hadn't been worked on yet.  I switched over to Rainey wear garments that were recommended by others on the site and I liked it - though it was a bit confining in the crotch area.  Some folks opt for shapewear like Flexees or other lightweight garments.  My opinion is that they help with shape and some support but for real swelling issues, some of the garments designed for compression are more effective.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:44 am - lubbock, TX
thanks Queen Nae

i appreciate your input - looks like you have been through a lot of surgery

i know what you are saying

i have had a couple of hernia repairs - and with the abd work - i definitely felt like i needed "support" or "protection" from my binder or compression garment
but, with this thigh thing
i'm just not sure that i'm sure that it's worth it

does that make sense?

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

Renee H.
on 5/12/09 9:14 am - Bronx, NY
With a thigh lift, I definitely understand.  Some surgeons don't suggest compression with thigh lifts just because of the nature of the wounds and the fact that you have to tug them on and off several times a day.  My surgeon doesn't really like compression garments too much.  He feels that for a lot (not all) patients, the level of compression is too difficult to control and he worries about too much compression, which can disrupt blood flow and compromise the skin.  I do think that he has thigh lift patients WRAP their thighs as opposed to wearing the bike short girdle thing.  That eliminates the on & off thing every time you need to use the bathroom and helps you to control the tightness of the compression by how tightly or loosely you wrap the bandages.  You might want to ask your surgeon about it if you are that unhappy with the compression garment.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Susan S.
on 5/12/09 6:33 am - Roselle, NJ
All of the above answered your question - bottom line - the longer you wear them - the better your result......did you go through all of this to not maximise the outcome??!   I was able to abandon the stupid body lift suit which I did hate for a pair of Assets (targets version of spanx).....and I still wear them - they worked very well for my medial thigh lift as well as they run below the knee.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:45 am - lubbock, TX
thanks susan
i might try that
i had a lateral thigh lift
and the abdominal support is not what i need from the body suit
maybe the other will be better

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   

cleos_mom
on 5/12/09 1:02 pm - phila., PA
I had TT in Dec and inner thigh & butt lift 6 weeks ago and I wear my garment all the time, I have heard that the longer you wear it the better the results so get one that you llike & is comfortable. I bought my 2 favorite ones from
www.marena.com

it goes fro under the breast to the knee and has shouldeer straps so it doesn't roll down and it wa arounf 50.00 and I love it ,   it is so comfortable
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 10:12 pm
Most Active