compression garments - why?

MelissaF
on 5/12/09 2:15 am - Northwood, IA
Totally depends on procedure and doctor preference....

I love mine, i will wear it forever I feel LOL
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:38 am - lubbock, TX
?
i have no idea

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

gypsywoman6789
on 5/11/09 11:02 pm - Hudson, NH
My surgeon told me to wear it 6 wks post op.  At my 10 day follow up he said I'd be good to stop wearing it at 4 wks.  I didn't mind it at all the first few weeks but by week 4 it wasnt fitting right and the velcro was starting to die.  So I tried going without it but my body didn't know what to do.  And I felt very exposed/vulnerable without it.  I was so worried about bumping into somehting or the dogs jumping up on me without it on.

So I tried flexees, the compression was too much for me and I bought a large which should have been just fine for me since i'm a size 10.  I went to a full body suit with a snap crotch to give me some support and protection.  I've started alternating wearing it during the day or at night so that I have somehting on at least half the day.  By spending some time without it my skin has started to get used to having things rub against it, at first the slightest touch of my shirt against my skin was actually painful in some areas, especially my incisions but that sensitivity is getting better every day.

I continue to wear the body suit because I hear over and over again that the longer you wear some sort of compression garment, the better your results.

So save yours for the bon fire until you are several weeks out or if your dr. says its ok switch over to something a little more `comfortable like a body suit or spanx type garments.

Hang in there, just think of the results!
Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:39 am - lubbock, TX
where did you get the flexees?

what kind of procedure did you have?

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

gypsywoman6789
on 5/12/09 10:32 am - Hudson, NH
I had an anchor cut TT no muscle or a panni removal depending on who you talk to.  I got the flexees at JC Penney.  I saw in a later post that you said the waist band felt like it was cutting you in half, if that is happening I would try to get a body suit so that isn't happening.  That is one of the reasons I stopped using the flexees b/c the waist.  Now if you need somehting with legs also then I would try getting an assets garment that is the body suit with the legs.  Target carries them for around 20-30 bucks which is much cheaper than the Spanx brand but they are made by the same woman! 

Hang in there.
Kim Meeks
on 5/14/09 6:06 am - lubbock, TX
thanks for your input
i appreciate you taking time to write to me

i went back to the large on the compression garment and the waist is better
but, if i did get a body suit with legs - it might be better
i have to wear the legs because i had thigh lift
the leg compression has to go down to my calf
not cutting on the thigh - it is contraindicated

i will check target

i didnt know the assets were the same maker as spanx
i will go check on it today

thanks
kf

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   

JoniKspring07
on 5/11/09 11:31 pm - onaway, MI
I am almost 5 weeks out from a tt and  when I saw my Doctor yesterday I had fluid built up in my abdomen! He had to take out 65cc's.  He said that I have to wear my binder until I stop builing up fluid.  He also said that I was probably over doing it.  So I will wear my binder until I know it is safe and will not have any further complications.

Joni

Kim Meeks
on 5/12/09 7:40 am - lubbock, TX
that sounds like a seroma to me

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   

gypsywoman6789
on 5/12/09 10:35 am - Hudson, NH
Before you went to your appt did you think that you had any fluid buildup?  I'm curious b/c my PS saw me at 10 days and then doesn't want to see me again until 3 mos so I often wonder if everything is going as it should be.  How would I know if I had fluid build up if it wasn't super obvious?
islander
on 5/11/09 11:48 pm - Middletown, RI
Some surgeons don't use them at all.  I used my binder for a short time only (? 2-3 wks.) & then he said just to use regular undergarments.

I used over-the-counter products just for support as I was initially healing.  After ? a month of that- didn't do a bit of good.  I'd swell with them or without.  I think it was worse with.

Do I still get some swelling?  Yes.  But then the healing process is still ongoing for many months.  This is major surgery after all.

I say ditch the thing!

Most Active