POLL!! Who had a board certified surgeon???

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 6:05 am

I ask because I am of the opinion that board certification is not as critical as it seems.  From my dealings with Dr. Rose last year (who IS certified) - it seems to me that someone can HAVE the certification and not know a THING about doing plastics on a former WLS patient. 

When researching how to file a complaint about him, I discovered that the governing body for the Plastic Surgery certification doesn't even TAKE complaints - you have to go through your state's medical board.  How is that certification supposed to have weight if you can't ever complain to them if something's not done right? 

Not knocking those who are certified - I just don't see it as a big necessary qualification over experience with post WLS folk - but, I could be jaded based on my experience, so I thought I would ask.........

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/09 6:38 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Interesting topic.
Personally I would not take a chance on a surgeon who is not board certified.  I've heard far too many horror cases.  I recall a story about a woman who was a trained/licensed hair cutter who decided she would also be skilled with a scalpel......she did some serious damage to woman who went to her.

My opinion is without all the proper training and certification who knows who you are getting or where they were trained.

I know you had a horrible experience with a board certified surgeon.  I guess I'm wondering how much worse it could have been if he was not certified.....

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 6:45 am

Whoa there - lemme take a step back - I'm talking about a DOCTOR.... lol.... just not specifically Plastic Surgery board of governance folk certified.... the ABPS - that's what I am talking about.

A doctor can be licensed in the state he works and have trained with various programs within the Plastic Surgery discipline, but just not be certified by THIS particular group. 

I would NEVER suggest that someone other than a doctor should be considered - but it's like having a law degree from U of H or Harvard in my opinion - and does one REALLY make that much difference over the other?

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

huskerfan85
on 5/11/09 9:46 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I am using a board certified surgeon, but he is also very experienced in weight loss reconstruction.  He comes highly recommended by my WLS. I am having my  legs done June 17th.
Gayle  6'2" 

gypsywoman6789
on 5/11/09 11:36 am - Hudson, NH
I used a board certified surgeon but one that is experienced in wls patients.  At least with board cert. you know they have the additional years of training in PS.  But just like I wouldn't have a cardiac surgeon do my brain surgey I wouldn;t have an expert in boobs do my lbl.
Lynne R.
on 5/11/09 9:04 pm - Houston, TX
I wouldn't even consider someone who was not board certified. I know yours is not, but I wouldn't do it, especially with your history. I wanted to point that out to you, but decided you were a big girl and knew what you were doing LOL. Good luck.

Lynne

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 9:15 pm, edited 5/11/09 9:25 pm
Hey Lynne!!!!  LOL - yea, I am a big girl.  And after last year with a 20 yr practicing ceritified a-hole, I figure one opinion is as good as the next in that regard. LOL

My doc does have over 10 years experience and training specifically with plastics and his practice partner has a fellowship and is certified with the plastics board - so he has the know how and resources - PLUS - instead of the paper this time, I went with someone from whom I have seen the results and know PERSONALLY a former WLS patient that he has worked on.  I am going on what I can put my EYES on and TALK to - not just what's on paper and a list of qualifications from a certification organization that doesn't even have a method to de-certify its members based on complaints or poor performance.  I went on blind trust last time - I'm doing what I can this time to be comfortable with my decision. 

But hey - it's a toss up either way - if I get jacked up this time, it's not cause I didn't have proof he CAN do it right.  But he knows my history with the other doc and the actions I am taking - he is not the kind of guy to jack someone up for the money - he does have a clean record with the TX Medical Board, unlike doc from last year.  

My pre-op is Thursday so that's the final day to grill him - I am ready to cut and RUN if I am the LEAST bit suspicious!  LOL 

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/09 10:10 pm
Hey MM:

Board certification means something, IMO but it doesn't mean everything.  Experience with WLS patients means something but it doesn't mean everything.  In fact, treating WLS patients is different than treating non-WLS patients who have lost a considerable amount of weight.  Non-WLS patients do not have the malabsorption, vitamin deficiencies going on and in fact, a surgeon who almost exclusively treats WLS patients can be blinded by that.

Seeing good results and talking with current and/or former patients doesn't mean ::that:: much, IMO either.  It means that you ::probably:: won't get horrible results but not necessarily.

Frankly, I think it's a crapshoot.  Helpful opinion, huh?!  I think the best thing to do is to listen to yourself and when you start having doubts about something or someone, run the other way!

I'm praying that everything works out for you,
Kim
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 10:15 pm
Kim, darling, you hit the nail on the head!!!!!

there's no absolute guarantees - I only have my best effort to put forth and my gut to listen to.  I can at least say this time I covered every gap I discovered from LAST go around and that I haven't had any 'spidey sense' alarms go off about this one.  It's all blind faith at some point - so I am going to do what I did last time - PRAY and have faith that whatever happens was MEANT to happen. 

sablouwho
on 5/12/09 12:23 am - La La Land, CA
I think that looking at their previous work is a helpful guide. Since all the PS's I met with were board certified, it was an even playing field from that perspective.

So looking at their before and after photos was a big part of how I decided who I was going to use. (Though my overall comfort with their personality and bedside manner also played a role.)

Even better that you were able to see the results of a real live patient, not just pictures.

I felt that there was a big difference in the aesthetic quality of the work of the various PS's even though all of them were board certified.

Hope this helps!
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Most Active