Pre-surgery exercise routine

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 12:40 am

Ok - I am looking to do a 2.5 week routine to get myself together before surgery, I want to be sure I do what I can do condition myself.  I work out with weights mostly, but am planning to do 30-45 min of cardio 4xs a week before my date, along with increasing my protein and vitamin supplements.

did anyone else do a special program to condition before surgery and do you think it helped you?

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

MelissaF
on 5/11/09 1:51 am - Northwood, IA
MelissaF
on 5/11/09 2:13 am - Northwood, IA
I am an avid exerciser b/c it is my outlet for stress now over food and also well, it just feels good and its GOOD for ya!

I run 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week and lift weights focusing on upper body 3 days a week and 2 days on lower (since I run my legs are pretty muscular).

Do know it will increase your weight most likely on the scale and do not let this freak u out.  Sore muscles attrac****er initially.

Of course now im losing like mad after my surgery and I think its muscle loss (my excess I had built up).  I can't wait to get back at it.

You are being very smart with exercise and protein loading and vitamin regimen. 

I think all those things helped me... good job!!  This will help you 10 times over!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/09 2:18 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Melissa,
I'm not so sure you are losing muscle weight right now.....it is my understanding that the muscles don't just melt away after such a short time of not working them out (maybe I'm wrong).  I would have thought its more likely your swelling is going down and you are seeing the loss from whatever skin they removed plus since you do still have muscle your body is still burning calories for you.

Just my 2 cents....

Ruth
MelissaF
on 5/11/09 2:23 am - Northwood, IA
I would love to think this is true Ruth! Let's hope, I work hard to build it up and wanna keep it!!!

I went in weighing 144, took off 7lbs, came home 146.5 (swell hell).  Now 134 today.  I am losing about a lb a day at this rate, hopefully it works itself out to where its happy.  I usually eat around 2000 cals a day with my activity level but have brought it down to 1200ish b/c well I am just not as hungry.  Some days I do get in 1400ish.  This is a running total in my head, I am not actually logging like I did in the first year but its a pretty darn close idea.. im pretty good at guesstimating.

Then I hear we shouldn't decrease our cals b/c our bodies use more for healing? Heck I donno... its so confusing!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 2:40 am
Thanks Melissa - I am a weight lifter myself - LOVE a good squat press! 

I am looking to focus on cardio for the surgery - then after I am cleared for the gym, I can gradually go into weights.

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/09 2:16 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Very smart of you to prepare and get started now.
I totally agree with what Melissa said about the routine....I do something very similar.

I've just added Pilate's into my routine in the hopes to do some more toning (especially on the arms).

The key for me was starting slow, building up my time and amount of weights I lifted.

I basically have been following the "body for life" workout plan for the past 18 months.  It's easy to learn and stick with.

Best wishes to you!
Susan S.
on 5/11/09 2:18 am - Roselle, NJ
You didn't mention what procedure(s) you're having and not sure you can do a whole lot in 2 and 1/2 weeks - but if you're having any ab work done - the stronger your core is the better - you need a strong back to pull against tightened abs....and the stronger you abs/back - the better the recovery and outcome.  Congrats on it coming up.......hope it all goes well.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/11/09 2:38 am
Hey there!  I am having an anchor TT and BL - no aug done.  I keep generally well conditioned and typically do weight lifting - I hate cardio - but I want to increase my conditioning before surgery especially since I know I will be out of the gym for a while afterward.  With the 4xs a week - I am just looking to optimize an already good level of fitness to make SURE I am on the healing track. 

thanks for the well wishes!!

luvinme4523
on 5/12/09 8:41 am - Mount Laurel, NJ
I get so happy when I hear of people going for what I call the gusto!  (TT) Through my research I heard that Vitamin E is not a good supplement to take prior to surgery. Something about it prevents proper clotting; If you're interested in that piece of info you can probably ask around.  Good luck 2 u
Most Active