TT Question

tonjasm
on 5/10/09 12:50 pm - Edmond, OK
I live in Oklahoma.  I may have the opportunity to go to Florida to have a TT this summer.  I have done quite a bit of research, but find various answers as to how long drains stay in and such.

Here is my question...If given the opportunity to go to Florida and have a TT, would you do it with knowing that you would have to drive two hours to get back to the airport to get a flight back home?  Also, any chance that my sutures and drains would be removed within a weeks time?

About 6 years ago when I had a breast reduction, I had a drain that was removed the very next day after surgery.  I had an abdominal hysterectomy several years ago that healed quickly as well.

I know that these questions can't be 100% answered, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what most of you have gone through and if that would be allowing enough time, etc.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions you can give!

Thanks!

Tonja
DEBI R.
on 5/10/09 7:03 pm - CORSICANA, TX
After my LBL and arms I had 6 drains and the arms came out on day 5 but the other 4 drains stayed in for 11 days. I have heard others have drains for 3-4 weeks and some even longer.

My surgeon was an hour away and I had to see him  5 days after surgery, 2 weeks and 1 month so that is something you have to consider also. Me personally I would find a surgeon closer if I were you. I didn't have a choice because my surgeon was the closest one I could find to where I live.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Lisa A.
on 5/10/09 9:57 pm

I had my drains for almost 8 weeks and to be honest I had a doc that  was ultra conservative on how much drainage was left in the tube, I know having the drains in longer were a pain in the butt but when one came out prematurely they had to go back in again and place one in again and extended my time but I do not have periods of huge swelling most people complain about swelling months down road  and my tummy is very flat and almost washboard tummy today  . I had 13 plus pannis taken off this is another factor  that will determine how much time u will need to heal and have drains, I ended up losing 20 lbs when I had my tt done, I think I would ask your doc if u can remove the drains yourself or have someone locally remove them ? The longer the drains stay the better out come I believe, Good luck on tt U will love the new you..
Lisa

gypsywoman6789
on 5/10/09 11:45 pm - Hudson, NH
I had panni removal 5 weeks ago.  My drains were out in a week.  I removed them myself after reporting to my surgeon the amount of drainage I was having.  He wanted it to be under 30cc for 2 consecutive days.  I just snipped the stich that was keeping them secured to my thigh, opened the bulb to release the suction, and pulled them out myself.  Feels a little funny but it didn't hurt.

Are you talking about driving to the airport yourself after surgery?  Or is someone going with you to fly back to Oklahoma?  There is no way you can drive yourself.  Also, I'm guessing that they don't like you to fly too soon after surgery because of blood clots.

IMy husband picked me up and  had a 1 hr. 45 min car ride home from my hospital and that took alot out of me just being in the car! 

Where in FL are you going to have surgery?  What airport will you be flying into/out of?
islander
on 5/11/09 12:30 am - Middletown, RI
I had 1 drain removed in wk. 1 & another in wk. 2 (tt & br).  I chose a surgeon close to home.  The latter was very important to me & my well-being. Travel is no fun when you're not feeling well.
No suture removal needed. 

malynn
on 5/11/09 2:30 am
I know I would not want to get on a plane for several hours after my tt.  The only thing I wanted to do was get back in the bed.  You are under anesthetia so I dont know that the surgeon would even allow that.  You will have drains and there is no guarantee how long you will have them in because you can't pre-determine the amount and length of drainage you will have.  Also, you must consider your follow up care.  I have had doc post op appts every week since the surgery.  I am on 3 weeks post op.

Just some things to think about.
MSHAMO
on 5/11/09 5:45 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I wanted to be as close to home as possible. I actually made my PS operate on me at a different hospital because it was closer. My 3 drains were in for a month. I guess, tho, it would make a difference if the price was right!! Why are you choosing FL over a local Dr. ???
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
tonjasm
on 5/11/09 8:03 am - Edmond, OK
I am definately setting up consultatins with plastic surgeons here in OKC too.  I have 4 total consults set up.  The reason for considering the one for Florida is that I may end up with a really great price.  But, there may be something to be said for having a surgeon local.  I was told that I would need to be in Florida for at least 5 days post op.

Tonja
Obesity Help Support Group > http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/tonjasm_group/ 

I had a tummy tuck and lipo of the side flanks performed by Nathan Miller with Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates in Oklahoma City on June 23rd, 2009.

Renee H.
on 5/12/09 5:34 am - Bronx, NY
I would only have this time of surgery out of state if I had somewhere comfortable to stay for at least 8 weeks just to be on the safe side.  I had an LBL and had drains for 2 drains removed within a few days and the other 2 were in for two weeks.  Everyone heals differently and deals with pain differently.  I am the type to weigh more on the conservative and safe side.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Most Active