Weight of Extra Skin???

Paula Chapman
on 5/10/09 8:15 am - Midvale, UT
I am 5'3"  started out at 355# and am now 175#.  Could anyone give me an estimate of how much extra skin I am carrying?  I am going to have a full body lift with a little lipo to boot.  Any estimates on how much weight will go with this skin?  I am 55 years old and just wondering if I should try to lose more before surgery or if this will put me at a healthy weight for my height and age.  Any guestimates are truly appreciated.
Thanks!
Paula

MelissaF
on 5/10/09 10:48 am, edited 5/11/09 1:02 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Paula!

Great question.  Everyone is soooo different b/c we all carry our body weight different so the skin is varied in different places in amounts and elasticity etc. 

I had a lower body lift 2 weeks ago.  I was 328 at my top weight, went in weighing 144 and they removed 7 lbs of skin (not much in the way of fat) from me.  I was pretty muscular at that 144, wore a size 4 in pants, couple 6's.   I have not had anything removed anywhere else (thighs, arms, etc).

Not sure if this helps.  Good luck with your journey!!!

Edited to add: I am down to 134 today.

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

TheCheshireCat
on 5/10/09 11:12 am
My top weight was nearly 298 lbs. and I had my body lift last month. Before surgery, I weighted approximately 165 lbs. (I'm 5'4 and have a medium frame) and they took 10 lbs of skin and tissue off. I was pretty shocked. I mean I knew I had lots of loose skin but I hadn't realized how much.

When I was losing the weight, I used to get perspective on how many pounds I had lost by looking at hamburger meat at the grocery store. Meaning if I lost 6 lbs when I was at the grocery store I would literally look at a 6 pounds of meat. It always gave me a boost. Knowing the number was great but seeing it really drove it home. After my surgery, I did it again. I found two 5 lb packages of ground beef. That was a lot of skin! 

Anyway, I wanted to lose another 30 lbs before my surgery because my PS said the more fat I lost, the more tissue and skin he could take. I worked my butt off on the elliptical and went on a very low calorie diet about 2 months before my surgery. It was going great then my back went out the last three weeks. I couldn't exercise anymore because of my back so I ended up only losing 11 lbs.

Best wishes on your surgery! I hope that gives a little perspective although I'm sure everyone is different. One thing for sure, getting more weight off will mean a "tighter" outcome.

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/09 12:40 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
My surgeon has told me more than once that the skin and fat they remove weighs surprising less than we would think.

My highest weight was 308, I've lost 149 lbs, have 4.8 to my personal goal and the surgeons have estimated that they will take somewhere around 15 lbs off my lower body. (I realize it could be a little less or little more.)  I would have thought it would be closer to 20 but I guess not.
DEBI R.
on 5/10/09 7:29 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I'm 5'2" and weighed 395 before WLS and 169 before my LBL and brachioplasty. I had 15 lbs of skin removed. Your surgeon should be able to estimate how much loose skin he will be taking off, mine said 12-15 lbs and he was right. Good luck with your surgery. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Kelly V.
on 5/10/09 10:07 pm - Galion, OH
I am 5'8" and started out at 437lbs and went in at 195.  They removed approximately 18lbs (they only measured the larger pieces).   8 weeks later I am down 27lbs.
gypsywoman6789
on 5/10/09 11:28 pm - Hudson, NH
It is sooo different for everyone depending on where you carry your weight and what areas you are having done.  Since you are having a full body lift with lipo I would think that they are going to take a large amount off of you.

I am 5'3", my heaviest I was 263, day of WLS I was 223, got down to 147, jumped up to 166 which is where I was on the day of my PS.  I had an anchor cut panni removal.  The Dr. had estimated 4-5lbs but they actually removed 7.5 lbs so for me I was thrilled.  The one time I've weighed myself since the surgery I was down to 157.  Haven't weighed myself again since I promised myself I would wait until I was at least 6 weeks out and this week is week 5.

If you can lose weight before the surgery, the better, but if your PS is ok with your weight now then I guess your ok.
brenda F.
on 5/11/09 1:52 am - whitney, TX
my highest wt was 450+ .lowest 98 ,my arm's are so bad with hanging skin,tummy is not that bad I thought it would be a lot worse .lol. I'm 5"7.
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
-Mari-
on 5/11/09 12:33 pm
I have no idea, but when I had my tt they took 12 lbs off. So maybe you can guess from there. Good luck.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
IAMASWEETHEART44
on 5/11/09 12:45 pm - aurora, IN
I am 5.7 and a half  and started out at 526 .
I was 509 at the day of surgery on feb 18,08  on 2/26/09 i had a total hyserectomy and skin removal he was estimating 20 pounds but he ended up taking off 30 pounds.right now i weigh286.5 and feel so much better with the extra skin off.
Most Active