Three Procedures at Once - Am I Nuts?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/09 8:50 pm - OH
FWIW, with the amount of pain I had with both my TT and my arms, there is NO WAY I could have done both at the same time unless I had someone around to help me up out of the chair/bed every time I needed to and with all sorts of other tasks.  You need your arms to compensate for the pain using your abdominal muscles, but if your arms hurt like hell and your hands are awollen, that would be difficult.  Add the thigh lift in, and you need your arms even MORE. 

One of the things you should consider is a "worst casde" scenario.... what if either your TTor one fo your thigh incisions breaks down and becomes necrotic?  Trying to clean and pack and dress the wound will be difficult with your arm movement being so limited.  Necrosis doesn't happen frequently (but is most frequent with thighs), but it DOES happen (and it takes forever  for the holes to heal up... min is just now gettign close to being closed back up and it has been 3 months).

But I understand the financial and time limitations, and sometimes you do what you have to do, and find a way to live through it. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MelissaF
on 5/8/09 11:28 pm - Northwood, IA
GREAT ANSWER AND POST!!! AMEN! 
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

happy girl
on 5/9/09 2:33 am
My personal experience is the full TT, with muscle repair and the thigh lift.  There is NO way I could have coped with my arms being done at the same time.  The thighs have been very difficult to recover from and I have wound openings in both legs.

I don't know what I would do in your situation, but for me, I couldn't have done the arms at the same time.

Good luck! and best wishes!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Lynne R.
on 5/9/09 3:25 am - Houston, TX
I would never consider doing legs and arms at the same time. You need one or the other to get up and down. I'm amazed your surgeon would consider doing them together.

Lynne

lora13
on 5/9/09 9:42 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Susie...
I had a TOTAL BODY LIFT in November '08 and if I had it to do over again, I would do it over again!!  I am 52 years old and was told I was in great shape...worked out 4-5 times per week and walked 7 miles/day.  I ate right and always took my vits/supps.   My doctor was Dr. Dennis Hurwitz who created the TBL so I felt confident going into the surgery, which was about 10 hours.  Recovery was not easy, but what recovery is.  It has been long and not without little gliches along the way, but nothing horrific or regrettable.  I had some trouble with a few erupting stitches, but Dr. H. was right there fixing them.  My left breast had a little necrosis, but again, he meticulously fixed it and the very deep hole closed in about 2-3 weeks.  I followed all of his instructions to the letter and continued eating extra protein, took all vits., wore my garments as he instructed (and still do), and didn't work out until he gave me the go ahead (2 1/2 months) and now, I am really doing great...in his words..."better than most patients, including the younger ones."  My body feels (and I am told looks) many years younger.  The scars are numerous, but most will not be seen with clothes on...even my new 2-piece bathing suit covers my bra line scar across my back.  I went into surgery about 20 pounds more than I am now, wore a size 8 jeans, and now wear a size 4 jeans...had 34-36 DD flat breasts and now wear a 34 DD bra that is filled without folds of skin! (I had a spiral flap done and no implants!)  I am starting to wear sleeveless tops (never did before) and feel comfortable despite the long scars...however, they only show if I lift my arms and at this point, in a weird sort of way, am a bit proud of them...they are a testament of my hard work...although they are fading and will continue to fade.   Which brings me to the present...I know that I must again follow Dr. H.'s instructions of the sun exposure to the scars...SPF 60 at all times and no direct sunlight to the areas for this summer....

My opinion is that your results can meet your expectations if you choose a good surgeon, follow the orders given and continue good eating and exercise.  I know that we can become a bit overanxious, but lest not forget that we didn't become obese overnight, therefore, the transformation is not going to be overnight.  I also hear so many comments about the costs and no insurance help...Yes, I self-paid for the whole kit and kaboodle...surgeon, hospital, anesthesia, etc.  At first it was hard to qualify and justify, but then I realized that the best investments are those that required an investment.  Personally, we re-mortgaged our home.  At this point, days from my 6 month post op, I have not a single regret, albeit, I wish my insurance would have helped a bit...I still believe that this was not elective or cosmetic due to the infections and yeast and all that I suffered last summer in the heat with my layers of skin.  But oh well, I must live my life and I couldn't to the fullest extent because of my "deformity" of hanging skin!  So YES...it is worth the money because I AM Worth It!!

Hope I answered your question...sorry if I rambled.  I am so passionate about all of this and hate to see anyone make decisions about these things without hearing all sides of it.  I must add that if I personally only did a Lower Lift or Upper Lift first, I may not have done the other.  Just me...I prefer to get in and get out and get on with my life.

Good luck and I hope you make the decision that is right for you.
Lora 
Most Active