I can't take this off for a little while?

bradshaw0506
on 5/7/09 12:57 pm, edited 5/7/09 12:59 pm - Chicago, IL
I really need to get cleaned up and wash the one and only compression garmet I have which is the one the surgeon gave me.

Is it alright to take this thing off for a little while to wa****  I'll need to hang dry it of course.

I MY DS!!!

Renee H.
on 5/7/09 1:04 pm - Bronx, NY
Depending on how far out from surgery you are, you should be able to take the garment off long enough to wa**** and dry it but since I don't know how far out you are, I'd advise a quick way of drying it and getting it back on.  Be careful how you move around once you have it off.  I'd also advise getting another back-up if at all possible so you can switch up.  I bought two additional binders after my LBL.  Sometimes the surgeon MAY provide an additional one when asked.  They gave me two of those support vests when I had my breasts done.  The nurse was generous with that.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

bradshaw0506
on 5/7/09 1:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Hey Renee!

It's in my signature...I had surgery May 4th, so this passed Monday.  I am 4 days post-op.

I do have another binder but it's a size smaller than the one I have now.  I do only have one bra.

I MY DS!!!

jon1970
on 5/7/09 3:23 pm
How did the surgery go?

I am on with Dr Zachary for monday. Any advice?

Jon
BarbD
on 5/7/09 10:00 pm - IL
VSG on 12/11/07 with
I bought  a "spare" but my doctor mentioned some women use their blow dryers to dry them quickly.  Worth a try, maybe????
cleos_mom
on 5/7/09 10:38 pm - phila., PA
see if the smaller one can fit.
the bad thing with these is you can't put them in the dryer. and if you are going to dry it with a hair dryer you might as well put it in the dryer it is the hot heat that breaks down the garment and ruins it
gypsywoman6789
on 5/7/09 10:51 pm - Hudson, NH
Maybe you can dry it with the hair dryer but on the cool setting?  That way the heat is not an issue.  Or drape it over a house fan to speed the drying process?  If you are only 4 days out I certainly wouldn't have it off for long.  Are you wearing a tshirt or tank top underneath it at all?  That's what I did so that mine would stay clean, not be directly against my skin and incisions but I don't know if the binder you guys have for LBL's is different than the one I had for panni / tt type surgery.
joychaser
on 5/7/09 10:54 pm - MI
YOU will be fine! I never used a compression garmet since I had the butt flap procedure done and I turned out just fine. My doctor said it would cut off the flow of blood to my rear. No worries, it is not going to hurt if you are just taking a shower and getting cleaned up :)
From 251 to 141 and LOVING every minute of it! From a size 18 to a size 6-8!
I can finally SPREAD my wings again!
2kristie
on 5/8/09 12:48 am - , MO
I agree, it will not hurt you to have it off of awhile while line drying it.  My took about 2-3 hours to air dry and I just stayed in one place sitting or lying down until dry.  If I walked around I just made sure I was careful.  I mean, yes, some surgeons do not have you wear one and think about having a C-section (if you have had one) they never give you a garmet to wear and we just walk around WITH baby in hand too...up and down all the time.  So, just be careful but enjoy the way it feels.  You will love that feeling very soon!!  Oh, and definitely get the tanks...they do help keep things clean and then you just have to wash the garmet every few days to once a week.   
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/09 2:52 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Personally from my experiences I think 4 days is too soon to take off the garment but you should ask your surgeon.  I guess for an hour to wa**** wouldn't hurt.

FYI - I put my garment in the dryer on a low setting and only for 10 mins....then I hung it outside for a few mins to finish off drying.  Now that I don't have to wear it at night (even though I do cause I feel safer in it and it doesn't bother me too much at night), I can wa**** at night and let it air dry.

Call the Surgeon's office and ask them, I'm sure they will be happy to answer the question for you.
Best wishes
Ruth
Most Active