How long will I be out for brachioplasty/mastopexy/abdominoplasty?

Jupiter6
on 5/6/09 12:36 pm, edited 5/6/09 12:39 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I have the summer off, so there's plenty of time, but will be staying at my mom's while things are still acutely freshly crappy.

I have to do an overnight hospital stay because the surgery's extensive, and will lose a LOT of skin. If you had to guess, how long might it be before I can come home (5 hour drive) and finish convalescing here?

My date is June 25, btw. They're telling me they don't even think they should bother submitting to insurance (!) but I am pushing-- I worked hard to get all the necessary info to them, and my skin's pretty excessive and the rashes are unbelievable. And frankly, I don't have $18k just sittin' 'round!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

DEBI R.
on 5/6/09 5:33 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Congratulations on your surgery date Shari. I didn't have my breasts done but I was able to use my arms right away and was only off of work less than 3 weeks. I had arms and LBL with anchor cut. I could have went back to work sooner but wasn't allowed to shower until drains came out on day 11 so I waited until the start of the next pay period to go back.

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

mom23reds
on 5/6/09 8:17 pm - Bryan, TX
For hernia repair, abdominoplasty, and panniculectomy, I've been off work 4 1/2 weeks simply because the drain hole from the last drain didn't close up and I kept draining fluid (lots) from it every time I stood up. I refused to go back to work under those conditions.

However, yesterday seems to have been the turning point. I decided to say the heck with putting gauze up against the area to catch draining and went commando. No drainage that I could tell yesterday. Nor any last night. So I'm hopeful that the opening has finally closed up! I'm going to stay commando today and tomorrow and hope that it has closed finally!

I only needed help from others for about 5 days except in the case of lifting things like groceries. Those I still make the hubby and kids carry since I'm on the 10 lbs weight restriction for 2 more weeks.

Good luck!!

Susan

ilyssajane
on 5/6/09 10:37 pm - Forest Hills, NY
Well I have my procedures separate, but maybe this will give you an idea. 

I had an anchor cut TT Feb of 2007 w/ LOTS of lipo and I was out for a full 3 1/2 weeks.  Probably didn't drive myself for a good 4 - 5 weeks just b/c of stiffness and walked like a ? for a good 4 weeks b/c my abs where pulled nice and tight.

Then in Jan of 2009 I did my arms w/ what my surgeons called an extended chest wall removal (back fat and skim was removed) aka an upper body lift, and I was out of work for a full 3 weeks on pain meds for a full 2 weeks and was horribly sore my first 2 weeks back to work b/c my hands and lower arms were swollen and healing.  I didn't drive for about 8 weeks after my surgery b/c I was worried about movement or lack of movement of my arms.

I hope this helps!  Honestly, everyone heals VERY VERY different and you will hear a lot of different answers.  Just take it slow if you can and don't rush anything! 

GOOD LUCK!!!  And DEFINITELY submit to the insurance company b/c you just never know!!!

Best of luck!

Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

MelissaF
on 5/7/09 12:44 am, edited 5/7/09 1:03 am - Northwood, IA
Shari - my one suggestion. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT do boobs/arms with tummy together.  DO NOT! You need your arms when u cannot use your abdominal muscles and vice versa!  I can tell you first hand how much I am using my arms right now that I have had the LBL.  My surgeon says those surgeons that allow this are nuts... it needs to be one or the other but never together for the best way to take care of yourself postop.

I went to the doc yesterday, 40 minute drive and it was not comfortable.  I would say be at your mom's at least 2 but probably 3 weeks.  And if you do BOTH arms and tummy at the same time.. oh my I just don't want to even think about it.  I wish you wouldn't.  I think you will be wishing you hadn't.  

I am very excited for your date!!!!!! I would submit too, it is worth a shot and you have reasons for why you need this done obviously so go for it.. submit for sure!

Good luck and please reconsider doing arm/tummy at the same time. I can see boobs and tummy but NOT arms... omg. NO

If it was just a panni removal I can see it, but muscle tightening and arms.. seriously... i just can't imagine.

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Ansampson
on 5/7/09 12:48 am
Hi Shari I'm having a tummy tuck and my arms done on the 4th of June. Good luck to you. I was wondering how much help I need at home as well.
Cristy S.
on 5/7/09 3:43 am - West Point, GA
While I did not have my breasts done I DID have my arms and tummy done together. And I am going back after 4 weeks, really honestly I could have gone back at 3 weeks but even now I am still draining a bit as I have some places where my incision has pulled apart. Other than that I have had no pain in about a week, and really none at all in my arms. I have been able to use and move them like normal since surgery! The tummy did cause pain the first week, and some discomfort the 2nd but by the 3rd week it was all good I had very little pain and now at week 4 Im pretty much back to normal! (Aside from the draining and swelling still! )

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Most Active