Drain Tubes

tarra
on 5/6/09 12:46 am - Fairfield, CA
 All my drain tubes but one have fallen out.  I went to see my plastic surgeon yesterday and as much as I hate the drain tubes, I am hoping this last one stays in.  She said if this last one falls out, they are going to run tests to make sure I don't have anymore fluid in my body and if they see any at all, I have to go back in for another surgery to have them put back in.
phpbqw84vAM.jpg picture by tarra74 phpVmdSMwAM.jpg picture by tarra74
MSHAMO
on 5/6/09 12:54 am, edited 5/6/09 1:43 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I'm curious, did your Dr. say why your tubes fell out. Everyone I've ever heard on here has said that their tubes were stitched to their skin, as were mine, so they couldn't fall out.  I think that is really strange. If I were you, I would ask.  If you do have to have them put back in, I sure would question who pays for it. Good luck, Nancy 
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
MelissaF
on 5/6/09 2:58 am - Northwood, IA
Most drain tubes are stitched in but some people's skin/anatomy will dissolve and eat away even at nondisolvable stitches, at least I have seen this as a nurse.  Maybe you are one of them, that or they didn't stitch them or not very well, that's unfortnate.  Glad they are taking precuations to make sure you aren't having fluid build up and keeping an eye on it though!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

gypsywoman6789
on 5/6/09 10:42 am - Hudson, NH
I didn't have any problems with my drains, but how long ago was your surgery?  I can't imagine going through surgery to have drains replaced.  If you are having any fluid buildup why can't they just aspirate the site?  I've seen many people post on here that they have had this done.  I'd be interested to see if anyone has EVER had surgery to replace drains?
AbidinginHIM
on 5/6/09 1:05 pm - Ontario, CA
I had a drain inserted this morning, and it was no big deal.  I had a medial thigh lift January 31. Drains came out on March 9 and they were still producing HUGE amounts, but getting infected. I had some swelling for several days, but most went away. I had a revision to my thighs in office last Wednesday. The doctor removed a large fat necrosis that was near my knee and causing some pain.  It was quite sizeable.  I have been wearing compression garments and such, but on Monday afternoon, that knee began ballooning up.  By the end of Monday night, I could not walk, bed my knee or lay on my side.  I went Tuesday to my plastic surgery clinic and saw another doctor.  My surgeon was in surgery all day and the other PS felt he could handle the issue.  I did not like or trust the other PS, especially since he seemed unsure. He sent me for an ultrasoud that meaured the size of the fluid pocket and the PS was so concerned about himself and my possible germs that he wouldn't even touch the wound area, or aspirate the seroma himself.  He had a radiologist do it.  Well, by last night, my knee was once again swollen and I could not walk, and was in so much pain.  I went back to the plasic surgery office today knowing my surgeon was there.  He had the new drain in my leg in just a few minutes with over 250 cc removed, and I've drained another 130 since noon today.  The drains are our friends, and they can be placed quickly and easily in the office if you have a skilled surgeon.  I also thought it was interesting to watch, but then I was awake and aware and watch the 2 hour revision last week.  That was so cool!
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
MSHAMO
on 5/6/09 2:03 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Hi Tarra, I went to your site and read your story. Congratulations on loosing so much weight on your own. I was wondering how much skin was removed during your PS. Keep up the good work and I hope that you don't have any more drainage issues. Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active