LBL question - Re: how long did you stay in the hospital

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 10:10 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Since you mentioned that protein helps with healing I made sure I got an extra protein drink in yesterday.  I'm curious.....how many grams of protein a day were/are you taking pre and post surgery?

Thanks for the great tip!!
cleos_mom
on 5/4/09 11:28 pm - phila., PA
I am taking between 70 and 80 gms of protein a day , I also upped my red meat intake for the protein and cause  I am ususally low in iron.
so I take into account the protein drinks and bars I don't know where you live but we have GNC here and they have a protein dink called MAX PROTEIN it tastes like YooHoo no after taste,they only sell it at franchise stores, it is not available on line from GNC.
eggface cells it on her site check out
www.eggface.com
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/09 1:22 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks for the info on the protein.  I normally hit about the 100 gr mark so I guess I'm doing ok. 
I use EAS Whey Protein.  110 cals 22 or 23 gr of protein.  Vanilla is better than choc in my opinion.  I may give your MAX Protein a try...the yoo-hoo flavor sounds great.  :-)
akers123
on 5/4/09 10:20 am - Charlotte Hall, MD
Never a pain the neck, thats what the board is here for.

I had a LBL but did not have the thigh.  My doctor said I only needed to stay one night, but I decided to go ahead and stay the extra night since I was 2 hours from home.

Are you going to Mexico or someplace else for your surgery?  Just curious why you choose one so far away from you?  I complained about the 2 hours when I had to go back twice a week for the first 5 weeks.
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 12:51 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
No I'm not going to Mexico nor am I going outside the county........ I'm traveling to CA because after consulting with many local surgeons and being disappointed with the local one who did my arms I feel most comfortable with a surgeon in CA.  I will stay there for 21 days.
totalfreedom
on 5/4/09 1:19 pm - Northern CA
Hi Ruth,

the only difference in what you are about to have done and me is the Breast Lift and I had the upper thigh lift not the vertical one. 

I was scheduled to stay for 2 nights and ended up staying 1 more.  I think I could have gone to the hotel, but my husband ended up getting sick so he asked me to stay one more night.  It was ok, but I was totally ready to get out of the hospital by then.

I think if you are going to have nursing care while in the hotel for a few days, you can probably leave after 2 nights. 

It is alot to coordinate when you go out of town, but it will be so worth it.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/09 1:25 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I want to thank everyone for posting and sharing.
I am pleased to find out that for the most part 2 days could be long enough barring any complications (knock on wood there won't be).  This alone will save be close to $2,000!  Even if I stay $3,000 it knocks $1k off my budget which I can later spend on new undies and clothes (after the swelling is all gone).  

THANKS AGAIN!!
whisperingliz
on 5/5/09 4:57 pm, edited 5/5/09 5:00 pm - paramount, CA
Renee H.
on 5/6/09 11:57 am - Bronx, NY
I had an LBL back in 2007 with an anchor cut incision.  Seven hours in surgery because I am a large frame person and I had a lot of excess to remove.  I was in the hospital for two nights.  My surgeon said that is about the average if there are no complications.  I had the pain meds pump and the On-Q pump.  They removed the pain IV on the second day and put me on oral medication.  I went home the morning of the 3rd day.  I was sore and stiff but it was doable.  When your time comes to start consulting with surgeons, you can ask them what their average is for the LBL considering your personal body issues & expectations.  But if you are trying to budget in advance, I would suggest saving for "what if" scenarios so that on top of everything else, you won't need to stress money when the time comes.  
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Most Active