Body image (pre-plastics), fears re: plastics, etc

MelissaF
on 5/6/09 3:02 am - Northwood, IA
Yes, I do think this is normal.  I think it is "unfortunate" we that have had to reroute our intestines and shrink the anatomy God gave us (I had this disucussion with my husband before my RNY) in order to be "normal" and then have plastic surgery to alter us yet again.  But, I also know I wouldn't have been lead in this path if I wasn't supposed to be.  Do I like my scars? No but did my body interfere with my life (skin) before, yes.  I had to do it.  There just wasn't an option in order for me to truly appreciate my new life I have been gifted to have.   I think your thinking, rationalization and fears are normal and only you can decide what is best to tolerate, skin or scars...

Hugs, you aren't alone.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

sablouwho
on 5/6/09 3:27 am - La La Land, CA
Thank you Melissa, and everyone else above, for your caring replies. It really helps to know that I am not alone in the way I feel.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Renee H.
on 5/6/09 10:52 am - Bronx, NY
Hi there -

I always say that plastic surgery is an emotional as well as a physical journey.  I totally understand your feelings.  The way I see it though, when I was super morbidly obese, I had abused my "normal" body for the worse and I had to get over it.  What's done is done and history can't be undone.  It's like time - once it's passed, that's that and you have to accept what's occurred.  I thought my "normal" body was forever ruined until I discovered weight loss surgery.  Was it a cure?  No, but it was a REMEDY.  It helped me to regain a normal size and that was a miracle for me considering I was once close to 400 lbs.  And even though I was thrilled about it and loved the way I looked IN CLOTHES, the reality came when I took off the girdles and waist cinchers and push up bras and all-in-one garments.  I did not like the "evidence" that I was once an obese person.  There were days that I actually felt that the fluffiness of being fat was preferable to the hanging flab that I had post-op.  So the bottom line was that I had to make a choice between hanging skin and flab -or- a tight body with scars.  That was the long and the short of it.  I chose the scars.  I had a lower body lift and then an upper body lift with arms.  Yes I have the scars as evidence that my body had to be cut to look slimmer and tighter, but for me, that was preferable over huge bat wing arms. breasts that lost their integrity and youthfulness, love handles that had nothing to do with love, a drooping butt, and a stomach that hung down past my pubic area.  

I had to forgive myself for my past abuse of my normal body and realize that I was given a second chance to look very close to how I know I could have always looked.  I took it.  I see my scars as my battle wounds because I am a soldier who fought my obesity and my total dissatisfaction with my body's aesthetic with the help of two surgeons and I am eternally grateful that God saw me through all of this and that today I am healthier inside my body and finally proud of the outside as well.

I hope this helps you to find your way to what feels right for you.  All the best.

Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

MyLady Heidi
on 5/6/09 4:06 pm
I look in the mirror at my perfectly flat stomach and its definately makes up for the scar thats there, the scar is not that big a deal.  I understand about wishing I never needed wls or plastics to be normalish, I am still not normal, I honestly don't think its possible to be normal once you are MO for so long, it become part of your psyche.  We can try to shed it as much as possible and pose as a normal person but its always there underlying, wating to come out at the most inoportune moments.  Atleast for me all the insecurities are all still right there.  Ugghhh.

Good Luck
Hugs Heidi
Most Active