Brachioplasty questions

TheCheshireCat
on 5/3/09 12:22 pm
Hi everyone! I had my LBL 5 weeks ago and am finally starting to feel more like myself. (It this darn swelling wouldn't keep bloating me up!) I plan on getting my bat wings done within the next few months along with a breast lift/breast aug revision. I ended up way bigger and with none of the perkiness that I asked for with my BL/BA in 2006. I want to umbrella the revision under the arm surgery to save money.

Anyway, how bad was the pain afterward? I just went through the lower body lift where my PS took 10 lbs of skin so I can't imagine it's as bad as what I've just gone through, right? How bad is the scarring several months out? Are they terribly noticeable? I refuse to wear sleeveless or cap sleeve clothes because of my arms and hope that I will be able to after the surgery. Plus, since the LBL, My arms and DD breast make me look a little out of proportion. Top heavy somehow. How long were you in need of help after surgery? How long till you could do most things for yourself?

Thanks!
Heather
Susan S.
on 5/4/09 1:26 am - Roselle, NJ
 It was a walk in the park compared to the LBL for me - I was driving in two days postop - and back in the gym with limited range of motion within a week.......boobs hurt worse than arms frankly (I did an augmentation - no lift etc).  I didn't need any help - I washed my own hair two days after surgery - drains come out day 4 and I was pretty much fine after that....I used a pair of long BBQ tongs when I had to reach something in an upper cabinet (that I had forgotten to bring down lower)......those same tongs came in handy when I had the medial thigh lift three weeks later.  My scarring is great - he placed is in such a way that it's only visible when I lift my arms - can't see it straight on or from the back.  I'm having the scars lasered next week to fade things a bit more........but I have a whole closet full of sleeveless tops/dresses etc. and I've never gone sleeveless (well - since i was 10....)    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

ShirleyG
on 5/4/09 2:19 am - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Susan ,
How do you explain to him that you want the arm scars where you can only see if you raise the arm. I have seen lots on here that are on the front and back but I having mine aroudn Xmas done and I need to know where are they placed on the arm so you can see ONLY if you raise your arms ..  I know most probably say that as well but yet it seems to not come out that way ,,,ANY pointers??
Thanks
Shirl
Susan S.
on 5/4/09 5:27 am - Roselle, NJ
Show him my pictures I guess - I have pictures with the scars revealed as well as longer term more recent ones Part of the outcome depends on the archetecture of your arms - mine were very lean and muscular - but scar placement is key.   I trusted him - and he didn't disappoint.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

janjan1
on 5/4/09 6:53 am - Armuchee, GA

I had my arms  and a breast lift (no implants) in January. To tell the truth, it wasn't too bad. True the first couple days were somewhat difficult due to the wide ace wrapping on my arms. It made the swelling move down to my hands. My hands were so swollen, made it hard to even grasp anything. BUT after the ace bandages were removed and I was able to take a shower, it was a piece of cake. Not bad at all. If you were able to handle the LBL, then this next phase will be much easier for you. I'm having a LBL next. I may put it off until winter time so I can enjoy my new upper body this summer. My PS did have my arm scar towards the back side of my arms, so they really aren't noticable unless you really look. I'm cut from elbow to armpit, and no he didnt take any armpit hair out. Still have to shave. But the ending in the armpit area, is sorta to the backside of the armpit. Not bad at all. Hope you have as good experience that I have.

Jan

Jan in GA

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 7:24 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi,
I had my brachioplasty 5.5 weeks ago.
For me the arms were worse than my boobs.
The armpits are the worst part......I'm just getting my full stretch/reach back.  The first few days were bad...couldn't even put my hair up in a ponytail (and Matthew couldn't do it to save his soul...lol).  Anyhow, the pain wasn't too bad after the 2nd day.....I think I stopped taking the powerful drugs on day 4.  Somewhere around week 3 I started getting a strong burning feeling in the arms near the incision, it's part of the healing process as nerves are trying to reconnect but that wasn't fun.  It lasted about 2 weeks and i still get it once in a while now.
I had very little bruising...what I did have only lasted about 3 or 4 days.  Even the Dr's assistant was impressed by the lack of bruising.
I did a lot of cooking before surgery so we only had to heat up meals...I was back in the kitchen around day 5.
I'm glad I can sleep on my side again but I have to be careful about were I position my arms or I can feel a lot pulling around the incision at the elbows.
I'm still swollen - a little in the left arm, a lot in the right arm.
I'm still numb all around the inside of the arm, the armpit and even some parts of the back of the arm. 
It's a little uncomfortable but definitely bearable.
I've been very fortunate that I have no major issues like no popped stitches or infections (thank you God).
My incision is healing nicely and hope the redness will start to fade a little soon.

Hope that helps.
Best wishes as you make your decision
Most Active