what was or is your fear of this surgery?

Shirley H.
on 5/3/09 8:21 pm, edited 5/3/09 8:26 pm - Bradenton, FL
I am having a panni done on the 29th only 25 days away and just yesterday I asked my sister that is having several hernias removed and TT done in 2 day whats her biggest fear of this surgery                    she had to stop and think but she said not waking up.......
I said my biggest fear is my outcome of what I look like I don't think I look all that bad with clothes on but I have rashes all the time and it is just raw under there so I am having it done so the rashes are gone and maybe stop the back ake and so clothes fit nicer too but I do not want to look deformed after the fact the dr said I am going to be so pleased that what he can do I am going to have this cute little belly button he says and taking off that 10 to 12 pounds is going to be reliefe on my back so thats my fear of what I will look like will I be happy with my new body shape cause to be totally honest I still think my face was pretty with all that fat on it now I see wrinkles,bones and I don't think thats too pretty  then I see people that do one thing seem to go back for more corrective stuff like they have their tt done then their arms and then their legs I hope I am just happy with my apron cut off!
Redhaired
on 5/3/09 9:28 pm - Mouseville, FL
You know I will have to give this some thought.  Of course I feared not waking up.  I think that is common to any surgery.  But I had no fear about my results with my TT, butt lift or boobs.  The arms I think I worried the most about.  I worried about the surgeon not taking off enough and I worried about where the scars would be and how they would look.

Red

gypsywoman6789
on 5/3/09 11:08 pm - Hudson, NH
I have to say my #1 fear was not waking up but that is to be expected any time you have surgery.  I've never had a problem with anesthesia but it is always in the front of my mind each time I have had surgery.  Other than that, my biggest fears were getting an infection or wound separation issues. 

I had a panni done 4 weeks ago, with an anchor cut.  And where the two incisions meet up often becomes separated which is why alot of PS's won't do them or at least don't like to do them.  Luckily I haven't had any problems with mine.

I am very happy with my results.  I still can't believe that the body I see in the mirror is really mine.  I have never been able to wear a short shirt or tuck in a shirt because I've always had this blob of fat in my belly.  Even when I was younger and thinner, I always had a stomach that looked horrible in pants.  Underwear never fit right, bathingsuits were a nightmare and now I don't have to deal with any of that.  I'm going on a cruise the beginning of July and I can't wait to go clothes shopping for it.  I bought myself a sundress the other day, wasn't sure it would fit I just grabbed it off the rack.  When I got home and put it on I couldn't believe it.  It looked great and I dont' have to worry about it clinging to my huge gut.

Your surgery date will be here before you know it.  Best of luck and wishes for a speedy recovery.  Don't forget to take those before pictures even if only for yourself because you won't believe the difference!

Caroline
cleos_mom
on 5/4/09 12:18 am - phila., PA
of course not waking up. I have faith in my PS so I new the results would be great my biggest fear was & is INFECTION cause that can really scar you & possibly kill you and just be real nastybut I thank God I had a TT and hysterectomy on Dec 12th and I had a inner thigh lift back & butt on March 30th and so far so good no infections and I just told my frien who had PS that after 4 weeks from this last surgery I am my old self again I have no restrictions and I can do what ever I want the hyster & TT were a little longer recovery
Susan
happy girl
on 5/4/09 3:24 am
Infection was my number one, wound separation and waking up and finding out he wasn't able to do my surgery for some reason.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Purple Passion
on 5/4/09 3:26 am - Little Falls, NJ
Necrosis is my biggest fear.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

Honeyblonde
on 5/4/09 5:53 am - MN

My biggest fear was that I was still too "fat" and the Dr. wouldn't be able to remove enough to give me a flat belly.

You can see in my pics that I do have a flat belly now.  Whew!!

Good luck!

~  BJ

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 6:04 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Great question, thanks for asking!
My fears ..........
#1 not waking up!!!!!
#2 waking up but having some sort of permanent damage
#3 not being happy with the results
#4 regretting what I've done

I try not to dwell on these but focus on the positive like trusting the Anesthesiologist to wake up (it's kind of routine for them), trusting the surgeon I select will give me good results and trusting my own judgment that I really am ready (this is the hardest one for me).

Kathie L.
on 5/5/09 2:42 am - Castaic, CA
I had all of the above fears plus two more to add to the list:

Fear of PAIN
Fear of getting a Blood Clot

Thankfully my pain was managable and blood clot never happened (too much watching Dr. G on T.V.).

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Most Active