i have a question???

kevin79
on 5/4/09 2:26 pm - clarkston, WA
hi everyone i am kevin and i had gastric bypass almost 2 years ago and i am scheduled to have an abdominoplasty next month any of you had one done? what can i expect? thanks for letting me know!

kevin
DEBI R.
on 5/4/09 5:06 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Kevin, that's my oldest sons name too. I had a LBL with anchor cut and brachioplasty almost 4 weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. I was only in slight pain the first couple days but it did take a couple weeks for me to get my strength back. I was off of work almost 3 weeks, I have a desk job.

Good luck with your surgery. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

MyQnA
on 5/4/09 7:51 pm
I am a week out from an abdominoplasty.  There has been little to no pain and I am mostly tired.  I also got my breasts done but I don't think that matters I think the fatigue would be there regardless.  Good Luck!

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

gypsywoman6789
on 5/4/09 10:51 pm - Hudson, NH
I am 4 weeks post op from panni removal which is very much like an abdominoplasty except the muscles in the abdomen are not tightened.  I was off pain meds before I left the hospital with the exception of at night.  First two weeks I experienced a lot of tiredness but now I'm feeling closer to normal.  Healing has gone great, drains were out in a week but everyone is different.  Are you having a hip to hip cut or an anchor cut? 

Other than my GB surgery, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself, scars and all.
kevin79
on 5/5/09 1:23 am - clarkston, WA
 not to sound dumb but whats the difference from hip to hip or an anchor cut? and from what i know my insurance didnt ok the muscles in my abdomen to be tightened all i know is that my doc said she was going to remove all the way around my middle and the fat pad at my pubis so sorry for sounding ignorant lol  
Renee H.
on 5/6/09 11:13 am - Bronx, NY
Hi Kevin - congratulations on your weight loss and your pending surgery.

To answer your question, a panniculectomy is when they remove the hanging skin/fat without doing any muscle tightening.  This is what MOST insurance that cover such surgeries will approve.  A real abdominoplasty is when they remove the fat and do the muscle tightening as well.  Depending on the individual, abdominoplasties usually give a tighter, smoother affect but for some, the fat removal is still a big improvement.

A hip-to-hip incision is just that.  The doctor cuts you from hip to hip to remove the excess skin and fat.  An anchor incision is also called a T-cut or a fleur-de-lis incision.  This is when you have a vertical cut from your pubic area to about midway up to your chest as well as the hip to hip incision.  This kind of cut helps contour the body more and address side fat and upper belly fat.  That's basically the difference.  The fat pad on your pubis is called a mons and usually (but not always) a surgeon will "lift" that area during a tummy tuck with or without muscle tightening.

Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

dec721
on 5/5/09 10:37 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Hi Kevin --

I had an abdominoplasty six years ago and have never once regretted it.  In fact, having done it before my WLS has given me one less thing to worry about post-op!  Many people report a pretty easy recovery from the surgery, but I feel obligated to tell you that the first few days were really very painful, and I have a VERY high pain tolerance.  (I did have the muscles tightened, and that is where the pain comes in.)  The first time I tried to get out of bed, I couldn't do it.  Got over on my side and had to lie there for a while before I could get the rest of the way up.  However, every time I got up it got easier and easier.  And, as I said, I never once regretted getting rid of that big ol' thing hanging off my belly ... even when I was lying there in pain.

Don't want to scare you, but I did want you to be aware that sometimes it is painful, but *totally* worth it!  Best wishes!    --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Most Active