Compression Garmet...how long?

bradshaw0506
on 5/3/09 6:48 am - Chicago, IL
Just wondering how long I need to wear this thing.  I know I'll wake up in recovery with it on but seriously how long must I hang on to this?  It's nearly summer time here in Chicago.  I know it depends on my surgeons requirements but I'm just curious to know what you had to do?

Let me know, thanks a million!

I MY DS!!!

MelissaF
on 5/3/09 7:38 am - Northwood, IA
I had an LBL on hte 28th and my surgeon requires 3 months for best results.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

BigCityGirl
on 5/3/09 8:34 am - San Diego, CA

My surgeon required six weeks - I didn't have a problem with it - seemed to work just fine - no complaints.  Good luck. 

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
cleos_mom
on 5/3/09 8:37 am - phila., PA
I was told and not just by my PS that the longer you wear it the better the results.
 I have been wearing one since December and I don't mind   it at all. I had a TT in Dec and in Feb was told I didn't have to wear it anymore if I din't want to, so I kept wearing it to sleep & when I excercise and if I am doing anything strenous, Then on March 30th I had a butt lift & thigh lift so now I am back to wearing it full time.
The trick is to find one that you like I bought mine online from Morena.com it is so light weight and so comfortable, I don't even know I have it on. I don not tolerate the heat at all.
God luck wearing your garent
Susan
bradshaw0506
on 5/3/09 9:44 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks, Susan!  I do have the Morena website saved as a favorite from one of your older posts and I heard I can get them cheaper on ebay too.

I guess what I want the most is to be able to wear a sundress one day without any garments (other than panties) during the summer so I can feel what it's like to not have to avoid the wind from making my dress cling to my lumpy body, ya know? 

I MY DS!!!

cleos_mom
on 5/3/09 1:44 pm - phila., PA
you can go a day or so without the compression garment. When I was first done for the first 3 weeks I didn't even want to walk to the bathroom without it it just felt weird when  I had my TT it felt funny if anything touched it other then the garment and my legs they feel numb when they touch each other so I sleep with a pillow between my knees, even when I get in the shower my legs feel funny w/o the garment it is a part of me for a while, it also helps to flatten the scars besides keeping the swelling down.
you can also wear SPANX
happy girl
on 5/3/09 3:06 pm
Good question and one I need to ask my PS

I do know that a lot of people wear it long after they dont need to.  I am still in my binder from my TT, but like the security of wearing something for support, so have a few cg ready to wear when I am done with my binder. 

As for my legs, my drains were so painful at times I couldn't wear anything and at those times my swelling was incredible.  Again, I like the idea of wearing something, and I know it helps with swelling

I have read everything from 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks post op

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

cbhjr98
on 5/3/09 4:36 pm
My official answer was 6 weeks, although I'm definately going to still wear it to work and exercise and stuff after that. I have some underarmor heatgear compression stuff I'm going to wear around the house and to bed because this body suit is driving me BONKERS when I'm at my computer at home or in bed...not to mention I'm itching like CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
gypsywoman6789
on 5/3/09 9:30 pm - Hudson, NH
My PS originally told me 6 weeks.  When I went to my post op at 10 days he said wear it another 3 weeks.  I told him I was planning on wearing it longer and he said that was fine.  My problem is the binder they gave me in the hospital fit great initially but as my swelling changes and I have to adjust it, the velcro is getting all messed up and now I can't get it to stick to itself like it is supposed to so it shifts.  So as of today I have gone to my flexees, we'll see how it goes.  I can't imagine going without wearing something yet. 

But you should be able to wear a sundress ( I just bought one myself!) if you wear something like a flexees or a morena garment underneath.
dowseras
on 5/4/09 2:49 am - Bloomfield Hills, MI
I'm just over 6 weeks now. I wore it every day all day (23 1/2 hours) up until Saturday. Yesterday and today I'm just starting to wear it at night and when I work out. I hated it at first, but now I love the feeling of having it on...but I'm tired of not getting into my skinny jeans with the wrap on...and I can when it's off.

I'd definitely recommend 6 weeks...especially if you had the muscle tightening-ab plication.
RNY bypass: 7/28/2005
TT: 3/19/2009

Most Active