POST-OP Face Lift/Neck Lift: Questions, happiness, regrets, problems

totalfreedom
on 5/3/09 8:52 am, edited 5/3/09 9:08 am - Northern CA
Hi,  I am going for my face/neck lift on 5/11.  Kathy L has helped me alot, but thought  I would get some feedback from others who are post-op 3, 6,, 12 months or more.

Expectations on bruising and swelling?  How long and when can i expect to be presentable for work?  I am planning to take off 3 weeks.

that first week is it easy to eat?  Or do i need a straw and am i eating primarily fluids?

Pain level compared to other surgeries you may have had?  1 -10, 10 being highest?

Any regrets?

How happy are you with your results?

thank you in advance!

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Deb366
on 5/3/09 9:20 am
Gee, I was hoping some one else would answer since I have some of the same farther out questions.

I am 6 months post op from a lower face and neck lift. I did not have much bruising or swelling. 3 weeks should be fine if you have hair to cover the incisions. Think soft food and protein, it was hard to chew and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. Cottage cheese, protein drinks, stuff like that. I was still hungry and wanted to eat but it seemed like chewing took forever and I HAVE to chew my food or my pouch isn't happy. Pain was not bad compared to the lbl. What is weird is the numbness. I still have some on the sides of my face and my neck. I still get some real tightness in my neck area, seems to be related to getting hot or cold, does anyone else have this?

I had a lbl at the same time and that took most all of my attention at the time, course the scars from that are covered up. I am glad I had the face and neck done and most of my incisions are covered by my hair. One side is much less noticable than the other side and I think it is because of where the incision is. The scars on my face and ears are pretty good, the ones behind my ears feel lumpy and bumpy. It seems like they could have been as good as the ones in the front but they are not. The numbness and tightness have continued to be an issue on my FL but are pretty much resolved on my lbl.

I have had to do my hair different, not really much of a problem. I think if I had to do it over I may have done the forehead too, that is more noticable now.

Sometimes I think my face looks a little tight still and like I said I had thought the numbness and tightness would be gone by 6 months but it is not. My face was really bothering me since I lost sooo much weight that I looked about 10 years older after I lost weight. I think as long as your face and neck are really really bothering you and you pick a good surgeon you should be happy with the results. I have heard alot of folks are unhappy if they didn't really need to have the work done since the scarring is extensive.

I would do it again, maybe be clearer about what I wanted with my surgeon and spend more time talking to him about the procedure.

I would like to know how other folks who are farther out than me feel about theirs and if they still have numbness and tightness. I think the thing about the fl and the nl is that your face is really who you are and first we lose weight and that changes how we feel about ourselves and then to have work done on your face...best of luck to you!!

deb366

Currently 125  pounds
Deb366
on 5/3/09 9:22 am
kelli, I am unable to post pics on my posts but if you send me your email I should be able to send you some pre and post op

deb366

Currently 125  pounds
totalfreedom
on 5/3/09 11:26 am - Northern CA
thank you Deb,  I will take your advice and take more smiling pre-op pictures!

Kelli

BigCityGirl
on 5/3/09 9:40 am - San Diego, CA
I had pretty much everything done last October - coronal brow lift, lower eye, mid face and neck with muscle tightening.  You can judge from my photos if you think it was a success - and nothing has been photoshopped.  I'll be 58 years old in a few weeks.

Pain - about a 1, the easiest of all my plastics - and I've had just about everything done.  I was given 60 percosets and used six.
Recovery - back to work in two weeks, makeup hid the bruises that remained - mostly a pale yellow.  Again, my photos show the swelling at different intervals.

It takes a full six months to see the total result - mine seems to get better all the time.  I could not be happier - the best money I ever spent.

I'm sorry I'll miss your surgery - leaving in the morning for work in Italy for a month.  All the best,

Donna

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
totalfreedom
on 5/3/09 11:28 am - Northern CA
Thanks Donna,

Working in Italy, how do you get a job like that?    I'm stuck working in an office all day long.  Would love to start a traveling job.  Maybe in a couple of years I will be brave enough to make a change.

thank you for your response.  You look marvelous!  No idea you are 58.  I just hope my results will turn out just as great!

Kelli

-Mari-
on 5/3/09 12:09 pm
Hi Kelli
I asked most of these questions on the makemeheal website. I heard that you shouldn't have to use a straw. I heard the first couple of days are the hardest. 2 weeks if the worst of it. Thanks for doing the "update for May" it 's really nice. Good luck on your upcoming surgery, I just bought my wedge pillow and the scarf for venturing outside. LOL
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Redhaired
on 5/3/09 1:11 pm - Mouseville, FL
I will be having a brow lift and upper and lower blepharoplasty in June.  I hope your surgery goes well and I will be looking for your after pictures.

Red

Jupiter6
on 5/4/09 11:50 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I had a lower face lift in December. It was the best of the three facial plastic procedures I had-- also had upper and lower bleph-- having the lower bleph revised next week.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of the healing and recovery!

December 2008                                          March 2009

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

totalfreedom
on 5/4/09 1:41 pm - Northern CA
Wow, your neck looks great.  I am very hopeful for great results in this area!  As you can see i have quite a turkey neck!

did you have any residual swelling, numbness?  Where did your incisions end up?  Did he do the muscle tightening under the chin? 

I am also going to have some fat removed from the lower eyes, but no other eye work.  he plans on some fat transfer to my cheek area.  i have lost so much fat in my face!

Be sure to post after your revision of the lower eyes.

Good luck with it all.

Kelli

Most Active