Anyone have their drains pulled at over 45ccs and NOT develop a seroma?

TheCheshireCat
on 4/29/09 10:16 pm
I'll be 5 weeks post-op from a LBL tomorrow. I have two drains still in. One is now under 20ccs. The other has remained steady between 40 and 55ccs for the past two weeks. I don't see any change whether I am sedentary or going about my life or even getting back to the gym (light excercise) a couple of days ago. The PS says he's going to have to pull them despite the numbers. Probably today or tomorrow because of infection risk. Tell me that doesn't mean an automatic sentence to a seroma. Anyone had theirs pulled even though they produced somewhat high numbers and not develop seromas?

Thanks!
Heather
gypsywoman6789
on 4/29/09 11:21 pm - Hudson, NH
She will probably post something herself, but I believe that Susan S. (redhead) who posts on here frequently had a drain pulled even though it was pumping out some serious volume.  Incase she doesn't post, email her and ask her.  She is a wealth of information as she has had several procedures done already.  Good luck.
Danielle H.
on 4/30/09 1:33 am - Atlanta, GA
Yep, one of mine was coming out but was still around 50.  He thought he'd regret it, but I had no issues.  I went that day for cold laser therapy at the chiropracter and saw the PS the next morning...he said, wow you hardly have any swelling.  I guess I was ok to pull it. But then again he's called me the poster child for healing - very few issues.

Just hang in there, eat pineapple (fresh) and drink plenty of fluids.  And at the first signs of swelling that's abnormal call him.  Its easy to drain if it is a seroma.  Mine told me some people have so much swelling that if you push on one side of their tummy you can see the fluid pop out on the other side...

Sorry its bothering you, but trust you PS, you don't want it to grow tissue in it and then be really painful to remove. 

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

TheCheshireCat
on 4/30/09 5:37 am
The drains are out! Yay!!! I walked out of the PS's office feeling like a new person. It's funny how much you take just being able to use the restroom or hop in the shower without having to arrange the drains for granted.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have any complications. Makes me feel better. My recovery, not counting the long term relationship with my drains, has been perfect! What is cold laser therapy? I've never been to a chiropracter. I was considering seeing someone for a lymphatic massage when the last drain wasn't drying up.

I'll be sure to get plenty of pineapple. Thanks for the tip. I've had minimal swelling so far but I'm sure I'll get more now. My PS told me I could ditch the CG and just wear Spanx. They feel so much better.

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/09 10:18 pm
kimtindall
on 5/2/09 3:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
Good Luck with the swelling!  I had my drain in for 7 weeks because it stayed at over 100cc's a day.  He finally took it out at the 8th week and I swelled up completely and nothing came out when he aspirated.  I am now 12 weeks and he inserted another drain in me last week (which is NOT putting out anything).   I will be having a revision in August becuase the skin has stretched so bad from the major swelling.  I looked 7 months pregnant afte rthe drains were removed. 

Kim 

Most Active