Pregancy & Plastics

Mary Elliott
on 5/1/09 12:11 am - MI
Hello everyone! It has been quite a while since I have been on OH. Oh, how I have missed this place!
I had RNY almost 11 months ago and have lost 154 pounds.
I am considering having plastics soon and I thought I would get some advice from some members that have been down this road I have ahead of me.
I have a nearly two year old daughter and we would like to give her a sibling. I am just not sure if that will ever happen due to fertility issues. Anyway, I was wondering who out there has had plastics and had a pregnancy afterwards?
Would you please share your story?
Thank  you so much ladies!!

6'0"/325/288/168/175
height/high/surgery/current/goal
My WL Journey & My Slice of Life
06/09/08 - RNY
11/05/08 - Gallbladder removed
10/07/09 - Bowel obstruction correction, hernia repair, appedix removed
04/14/10 - Tummy Tuck!!
DD
- 09/07 & DS - 02/10

gypsywoman6789
on 5/1/09 1:51 am - Hudson, NH
I don't expect you to spill all your personal info regarding your fertility issues on here, but if  you had fertility issues prior to your weight loss surgery, those often go away after the surgery once your body settles in.  Many women, myself included, experience fertility difficulties due to being obese.  So if you are just 11 mos post op RNY, I wouldn't count out the possibility of another baby IF your fertility issues were in any way related to your weight.

Now, with that aside.  I guess it depends on exactly what plastics you want done.  If you are talking about a tummy tuck, I would wait until you are certain that you are not going to get pregnant in the near future.  If you are talking about breast lift/ breast augmentation and you want to be able to breast feed, you need to ask some quesitons to the surgeon. I have read that even just a breast lift can, but usually doesn't, interfere with the ability to breast feed.

Congratulations on losing 154lbs that is phenomenal.  Are you at or near your goal?

cleos_mom
on 5/1/09 3:42 am - phila., PA
if it were me I would wait until I knew I wasn't having any more children before I got plastics wether it be TT or Breasts especially if you are a self pay. Your PS may even say that it is ok but I still wouldn't do it because we all know what pregnancy does to a womens body
Good Luck

jennjenn
on 5/4/09 5:16 am
Hi...just a little info from the other side...I THOUGHT I was done with my family & after being 3 years out from my GB and having lost 180 lbs, had my TT & BL and yes, was self pay! Then 10 months after my plastics & while on BC mind you, found out I was expecting!!! While a complete surprise & a blessing, I was shocked & couldn't help thinking...oh NO I am going to stretch out all this work! So once I got over my shock & got into the swing of things & am very excited about this pg. My son will be 10 this June & this baby boy is due in July. So...as far as the TT goes, I have had 0 problems, I do feel things "stretching" more since it was so tight to begin with & while I mourn the loss of my tight and flat tummy, I know that things will never be as bad as carrying around the extra 18 lbs of skin that I had. I am trying to be VERY careful with what I eat & gain during my pg because I don't want to gain a lot & stretch it all out. As for the BL, I will have to try to breastfeed & see how it goes, since obviously, we didn't think there was another baby in our future. But in all honesty, I was never able to exclusively BF my first son so I am expecting to at least have to supplement with this one.
So...it is a very personal decision & I wish you the best of luck, I thought it would be good to hear from someone that's been there done that! :-)  Now I do have to warn you....it does drive me nuts when people say..."but you don't even look pregnant!" And I'm now starting my 7th month!  

Most Active