When will I feel "normal" again?

boomer65
on 4/29/09 7:32 pm
Good Morning All,

I am 3.5 months post TT with a BL/BA.  Recovery has gone pretty smoothly with no true major complications - except I have to have a revision on my left breast next Friday due to too much fluid build up and no reapsorption so my PS is going in to drain it and make sure the implant is settled down right.

My major problem is that I was released for workingout at the 6 week mark and I'm still struggling to getting back to where I was pre-surgery.  Pre-surgery I was spinning 3-4 days a week and lifting a couple of days either separately or on the same spin days and was LOVING it.  Now however, everytime I spin, I swell up like a little blow fish and it takes days to recover. 

I'm just not capable of keeping the tension down on the bike and "taking it easy".  I've tried the treadmill, but my instinct is to run and I can't do that yet.

I'm so tired of not feeling that getup and go feeling in the morning and getting that great feeling from working out. 

Am I doing something wrong that it's taking me this long to get back to "normal"?  Seems like everyone else this far out is back to their regular workout schedules....

Please give me your guidance.

Thanks,
Franci

BigCityGirl
on 4/30/09 1:19 am - San Diego, CA
My surgeon told me it could take as long as 15 months - yikes.  For me, it was about three months but there were times when I noticed swelling as late as six months out.  Take precautions with salt intake and that should help a little.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
boomer65
on 4/30/09 1:33 am
I thought I had read somewhere that you were back at it within 3 months and I think that's what I was striving for too cuz you certainly had more extensive surgery than I with your LBL.  I guess we all heal differently.  I do watch my salt intake and drink plenty of fluids.  I'm back to wearing my spanx a couple days a week to see if that will help.  My PS released me from them at 6 weeks and I was so excited I just stopped wearing them.  I still can't stand them, but maybe this will help a little.  I'm going to continue to ease my way back into exercising, but the problem is I'll feel so good I go full throttle then pay the price later.

Thanks,
Franci

BigCityGirl
on 4/30/09 1:43 am - San Diego, CA
Franci,

My SIL had a TT with my surgeon and she ended up having to go through lymphatic massage treatments at a few months post op.  But she's excellent now - hang in there - one day you'll wake up in the morning and be surprised to notice that you haven't had any swelling for a while - it kinda sneaks up on you.

Donna
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
jackie j
on 4/30/09 8:53 am - Glenmoore, PA
Franci, KimZ over on the PA Board mentioned just yesterday (I think it was) that she was experiencing some downs too as she was heavy into her exercising pre-PS and she's limited now and swells up with too much.   I believe she also mentioned Shauna and a couple of the other girls experienced the same probs you are having.   You might want to get in touch w/some of them and compare notes and/or commiserate.  Kim was saying it was relational to the endorphins that you used to expend that are not now being expended and the build up of hormones start to reak havoc with your emotions because exercise was your new "love" and "outlet" and you can't do it.    We all know hormones have to do with water retention and swelling too.   Sorry you are feeling this way but kudos to you for doing what you can.   Good luck on the revision too. 

Jackie

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

boomer65
on 4/30/09 7:19 pm
Jackie,

Thanks for the info I will absolutely try to post something on the PA Board.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has these problems, because I really thought I was the only one from stuff I was reading out here.

Hope you're doing well.

Franci

Most Active