Tummy Tuck

KMMango
on 4/27/09 2:48 am - Everett, MA
If anyone has had a tummy tuck, can you please let me know what to expect?  If insurance will approve this, I'm definitely considering it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, good or bad.  Thank you.

- Kim 

gypsywoman6789
on 4/27/09 3:52 am - Hudson, NH
Depends on what you call a "tummy tuck" you will find people use the term tummy tuck to also include what would be called a panniculectomy.

A true tummy tuck includes tightening the muscles and insurance will not usually cover having the muscles tightened unless you are having a hernia repair done at the same time.  You could potentially get insurance approval for a "panniculectomy" and pay out of pocket to have the surgeon do the muscles at the same time.  Or just opt for the panniculectomy alone.

I just had a "panniculectomy" done 3 weeks ago with an anchor cut, which means I have an incision from hip to hip as well as straight up and down my midline.  Insurance covered this I just had to pay my copay and deductible.  You can see my before and after pics on my profile.

I recommend that you consult with at least 3 different PS's to get different perspectives on what they think would be appropriate for your body type. 

Good luck and feel free to ask additional questions.

KMMango
on 4/27/09 4:48 am - Everett, MA
Thanks for the response.  Yes, that's what  I had a consult for today a pannelcutomy.  What was your level of pain and how long before you were able to be up and around on your own?  I know everyone is different. 

- Kim 

Most Active