Swine Flu concern since I am travelling to Monterrey, Mexico

my_turn1
on 4/27/09 3:02 am - Northern, CA
is there anyone else out there that is travelling to Mexico?  Did you keep your date or are you cancelling/changing it?

My family is going with me and I want to make sure that they are safe.  What precautions shouold I take?  For those that have gone to Mexico, what do you recommend to help prevention?

Thanks,
Lisa
What have you got to LOSE ??
dowseras
on 4/27/09 3:11 am - Bloomfield Hills, MI
I would recommend not going at this point.

Seriously.

If it were me, I'd reconsider in 6-8 weeks depending on the level of the outbreak.
RNY bypass: 7/28/2005
TT: 3/19/2009

gypsywoman6789
on 4/27/09 3:56 am - Hudson, NH
My sister-in-law lives in Mexico City and we also have close family friends who live in Mexico City where the outbreak has occured.  It is very serious.  Now, I don't know where Monterey is in relation to Mexico City so being in Monterey might not be a problem, but I would be more concerned about traveling on airplanes coming and going from Mexico even if they aren't going to Mexico City.

If it were me, I would postpone and I definitely wouldn't want my whole family taking that kind of a risk.

Good luck.
BigCityGirl
on 4/27/09 4:13 am - San Diego, CA
When is your surgery?  If it's soon before they get a handle on this I would consider rescheduling. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
my_turn1
on 4/27/09 4:18 am - Northern, CA
My surgery is on May 8th.  Monterrey is close to the Texas border.  I am guessing here, but I think it is about 500 miles away from Mexico City.  Others may have a better perseptive of the distance as I am not familiar with the city.

Thanks,
Lisa
BigCityGirl
on 4/27/09 5:03 am - San Diego, CA
I know all the major airlines have posted notices on their websites that they are not charging change fees for rescheduling flights to and from Mexico in light of the epidemic. 

The problem with going to Mexico is that they don't have the drugs to treat Swine Flu.  We have them here in the USA  and they have them in the EU.  After surgery your immune system is challenged and that would leave you vulerable.  I definitely would reschedule - it shouldn't cost you anything.

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Tee M.
on 4/27/09 5:09 am - CT
I work in Public Health and this is all I have been doing all day.  The CDC and WHO have not issued advisories to cancel travel to Mexico.  Here is a link for you to read for precautions:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

my_turn1
on 4/27/09 6:10 am - Northern, CA
Thanks for the link Rerun.  I just took a look at it and it seems that taking the Tamiflu with me would be a great idea and possibly even prevent it. 

I am still unsure as of yet and I am following the news.
marylin99
on 4/27/09 11:34 am - MO
Not sure, but from what I understand about taking Tempera or the flu shot or meds is if they make you sick you will be sicker if you get this flu.  I can't take flu shot or take the pill, I know they have tried for years to get me to take it because of diabetes and me being so heavy.  I don't know on the news tonight they were showing pics of people traveling from MEX with masks on,....if you can cancel with out it costing you much I would pass, Mexico City has just about shut down completely.  It looked like a ghost town from the pics. 
Good luck to you and your family I hope the answer comes to you soon.
Marylin

gypsywoman6789
on 4/27/09 10:17 pm - Hudson, NH
Like I said in a previous post, my sister in law lives in Mexico City.  This is a distance from Monterrey but nonetheless travelling to Mexico right now for a medical procedure?  I wouldn't do it.  I'm sure that is upseting to you as I'm guessing it took a lot of planning to arrange your surgery but I really don't think it's worth the risk.  From what I understood, they aren't even sure that Tamiflu is effective against this type of flu.  Maybe I'm wrong but if it were me there would be no way I would go.

My sister in law wants to leave Mexico right now but she won't even think about getting on a plane and being in close contact with all the other people breathing the same air.  So she's staying in Mexico City so what does that tell you?
Most Active