2 weeks (and 3 days) after hernia repair, tummy tuck, and panniculectomy

mom23reds
on 4/25/09 12:39 pm - Bryan, TX
New pictures added to my profile.

WOW I knew I lost a lot, but the profile view REALLY hammers home how much they tightened up and cut off my belly.

Susan

Melissa M.
on 4/25/09 3:00 pm - Seabrook, TX
Wow you look great! 
speicallady
on 4/25/09 10:47 pm - bronx, NY

you look great!!!!!!

mom23reds
on 4/25/09 11:15 pm - Bryan, TX
Thanks. Now when I finally get clearance to exercise again I can work on losing the last 50 lbs I want to get rid of!

bamagirlee
on 4/26/09 4:13 am - Phenix City, AL
Awesome results! Thanks for sharing, I'll be having the same thing (minus the hernia repair) in a month or so, so I really appreciate you sharing the results. 
How do you feel 2 weeks out? My Dr says I can go back to work at 2 weeks out but that just seems like a short time. I have a desk job.
Thanks!  
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

mom23reds
on 4/26/09 4:34 am - Bryan, TX
I feel like a Mack truck has run over me multiple times. I wisely planned 3 1/2 weeks off work and I may not be ready to go back even then. I also have a desk job. I have already been back in for a couple of hours for critical things which no one else can do that had to be done by a calendar deadline, but those few hours (3 1/2 hours) at a time wore me out!

The first drain was removed at 6 days post op. The second drain was taken out 15 days post op. Then at 16 days post-op I developed a fever (no known reason). I'm on antibiotics and I see the doctor on Tuesday (he's in surgery on Monday and Wednesday). I am having a lot of sharp pain on my right side, but thats also where my binder is folding up and pinching me.

My biggest problem is wearing the binder and sitting up. Because my incision is so low down, trying to keep the binder over that, means pulling it down over my still ample hips (saddlebags). Which means that it then rolls up and binds at my waist. If I could find a smooth binder which is not made up of multiple pieces of elastic stitched together horizontal to the ground, I think it would be easier. One thing I'll be asking my doctor on Tuesday is whether or not my girdle (which is high waisted) is enough compression that I could wear it instead of the binder for the next four weeks.

Another problem I had was last night the opening for the second drain (the one removed Thursday) decided to "spring a leak" and LOTS of fluid came gushing out all over me. I'd rather the fluid be out than in, but I suspect I may have a seroma which will need draining on Tuesday.

Oh yeah, and my monthly visitor decided to come back early (24 days) and with a vengeance -- so I am NOT a happy Mama right now.

If you can ensure you do NOT have to do anything work related during the two weeks off and spend your time staying quiet and letting your body heal, two weeks MAY be enough. If you have longer time available, negotiate for more time as you feel the need. The last couple of days I've spent going in and out of consciousness just dozing and waking up and then dozing again.

I don't know your pain tolerance. I did my last c-section with no pain relief and only took 3 or 4 doses of pain medicine for the gastric bypass. I took 5 solid days of pain medication every 4 hours with the plastic surgery. I had been just taking Tylenol every couple of days for almost two weeks when I had to take the narcotic pain relief again yesterday. So be prepared that the pain could come back.

I'm not trying to sound like a negative Nelly, but I am just telling you what has been *my* experience. Yours will be different and I hope it will be smooth sailing the whole way for you.

Good luck!

Susan

bamagirlee
on 4/26/09 6:21 am - Phenix City, AL
Wow Susan you've been through it! Tell that Mac truck to move on out of there and leave you be! 
I am planning on asking the Dr to put me out for three weeks, then I can always work from home the 4th week if needed. I have a work laptop that I can bring home and do almost everything that I do when I'm there. Thanks for your honesty! Thats exactly what I needed. I was feeling a little guilty for asking for three weeks off and now I know that I'll probably need it. I have a high tolerance for pain overall, but the drains, binders and soreness sounds like it will be a hand full. It's so worth it though. I'm taller than you however our mid-section is very similar (or rather mine is how yours 'used to be!) So it was very helpful for me to see your scar and the results. 
Rest up and get to feeling better!! 
Thanks!  
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

morgansmommy
on 4/26/09 6:43 am - Gig Harbor, WA
Susan,
WOW!!! You look great! I hope you are feeling better every day. I am having the same thing done this summer sometime; I hope anywway. I just resubmitted my paperwork to insurance to see if they will pay for any part of the tummy part. If not my bonus will be barely enough for the TT. I am hoping they pay so I can have my thighs done as well instead of waiting for next years bonus!
It sounds like all one can do after these types of surgeries is rest; that must be so hard as most of us are used to being active now. I can remeber when lying around all the time was fairly "normal".
Congratulations againa nd rest up. Keep us posted, speaking for myself I love to read about everyones experiences with these surgeries. You sound like much more af a trooper than me pain wise. I only stopped the narcotics because they made me feel so weird after GBS, the tylenol barely made it tolerable for me but I could not stand the feeling of the percocet liquid. I may ask for vicodin for this.
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/09 2:11 pm
cbhjr98
on 4/26/09 3:14 pm
Today is 26 days out. I'm trying 1/2 days at work this week but still confined to desk work to build back up my energy. After an LBL (with mons, auto-aug butt, no tummy muscles) and extended inner thigh lift and calf lipo, my biggest issue at this point is sitting up for long periods of time. I also have trouble concentrating for more than 3-4 hours on a computer at this time. My doc officially gave me off until May 11th so I just want to transition back to full time by then. I have two major spots that still hurt... the belt incision right below the naval - the more I stand up straight, the more the tension is on that area and it feels like it's pulling open; and the left hip - dont know if it's a nerve or the binder, but doc says keep it padded and give it time.

Yes, I'm prob taking it easier than most, but since I work for the governement, have a ton of sick leave built up and never plan on having kids, I consider it like maternity leave and dont really feel bad about taking the time off...hehe...

Good luck!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Most Active