Starting my plastics journey

jazzigirl
on 5/1/09 10:48 am - Rose Hill, KS
HI Bev, I'm looking into PS too, and boy, after paying for two (my daughter's and mine) DS surgeries out of pocket, it's a struggle to think of spending so much more on myself! But, I dream of being "normal" someday, even at my advanced age (55). Good luck on your consult and I'll be watching for your posts.

75% EWL!!!!    Miracles do happen and the DS is mine!
DS Facts
on 5/1/09 10:54 am, edited 5/1/09 10:55 am
Thanks Jazzi, and two self pay DS's, wow!!

I had my consult today. If you want to read about it I will repost from my Ontario forums post. I will preface it by saying that in Canada, plastic surgeons (the good ones) do not do just cosmetic procedures. Because of our health care system they also do reconstructive surgery in order to get hospital time and privileges. The do a lot of different types of surgeries, but like he said, it's not often he has to do a LBL.

It's long =)

**** REPOST FROM ONTARIO FORUMS ****

Like Kimmy said, I went and saw Dr Gorgeous today. It's weird, I think I am equally excited, scared and sad.

It makes me sad that after surgery and over a year of weight loss I am finally starting to feel "normal", and there is now another long road ahead; it's not over :(  More surgeries, more potential complications and risks and loads more recovery time. The risk of complications is always scary.

But apart from that, it was a very good consult. I really like Dr. Nodwell (and yes he is just plain stunning to look at). He very thoroughly discussed risks and stats and his experience. I could tell that when we were discussing things in his office prior to the exam that he had it in his head that a TT would be enough for me. But I knew once the clothes came off he would understand my concerns about why that is probably not the case. It was so funny...

"Uh.. Yeah... Well... Hum... Yeah, I see what you mean. Hum... Yeah we'll have to do a full circumferential ."

So LBL it is. Interesting thing is that he doesn't have to do a LBL very often (he was up front about that). TT seem to resolve the problems most of the time, I happen to be one of the rarities for him. He feels comfortable doing the procedure for me but also recommended another Ottawa plastic surgeon that may have more LBL experience (Dr. Silverman). I have booked a consult with the 2nd surgeon.

Dr. Nodwell also said my arms are ready (everything hanging is excess skin). He also said that the pocket of skin under my arm beside my breast will require an additional incision/scar to remove; it will not be handled by the breast lift (it can be for some).

I went to see him prior to being at goal because of my hernia repair surgery. FYI, he HIGHLY recommends Dr. Yelle and Dr. Winckel (Ottawa general surgeons) for hernia repair. He works closely with Dr. Winckel (my hernia repair surgeon) and will coordinate a mutual time with him. I asked him how much more he'd like me to lose before surgery, and he said 15-20 lbs. That shouldn't be a problem and hopefully it will be more like 30 lbs. So I am looking at potentially Aug/Sept for hernia repair/LBL. He said he prefers a general surgeon being present for the hernia repair because in the event that the bowel gets nicked, you want and should have a general surgeon there to deal with it. (my hernia is 3 fingers in width but is pretty small compared to some I have seen)

He will not operate longer then 7-8 hours. He said the risks sky rocket beyond that point. I agree with his caution on this and will have staged procedures; not everything in one surgery. So I am looking at LBL, then arms (totally necessary) and breast lift/auto augmentation (luxury if I can afford it) in a second surgery later on. This is all dependent on cost and if I can swing a loan that big. My quote is in the works. He said I may want to take a month off work for the LBL (yikes, that is ALL my holidays and sick time for 2009). And I would be in hospital over night.

I feel comfortable with Dr. Nodwell and it helps knowing Kim and Carroll have both had very good experiences with him. Marnie will also be having surgery with him in a few weeks. So I will give it some thought.

It's really a lot to think about when you are 37, single and don't have kids yet. What do you do? Wear spanx from your chest to knees every day until after you have kids, then have plastics? How will that impact dating when you look really unattractive nakked? (yeah yeah any guy worth a damn won't care blah blah blah) Do you have plastics now so you can date and look decent nakked, but run the risk of destroying the plastics work you spent thousands of dollars on if you all of a sudden do end up having a child? I don't know...

Bev

Most Active