how long after Rny

sherriwine
on 4/23/09 6:42 am - Boonton, NJ
How long after Rny should I wait. I had my Rny 14 months ago and have lost 117lbs. My weight has been stable since NOv. Varies by 2 lbs either way. I think I'm really just trying to maintain at this point and my NUT seem to agree that maybe I have lost the weight I am going to lose. I am happy at this weight but I hate the way I look with out cloths on. I feel like a melting candle. I have not started with they typical rashes under the breast and under the belly but summer is not here yet. Just wondering if its to soon to consider plastics.
Sherri
[
momto3boyz
on 4/23/09 7:55 am - Hampstead, NC
Hey Sherri,
If you remember I had my surgery the same day as you. I had a panni and a hernia repair done on Feb 10th of this year. They removed  11 lbs of skin. My insurance wanted to wait til 18 months out but the doctor wanted to go ahead with the hernia repair and said doing them both at the same time would benefit me, so I paid for it myself. Congrats on the weightloss! I have lost 219 to date.
Oh and just a word... the panni and hernia surgery have by far been the worse surgeries for recovery. I still don't feel like I am 100 % and I have had 2 c-sections. Rough I tell ya!

Good Luck
Melissa

429/395/225/184/185 6' height

1st dr appt/surgery/dr goal/current/my goal

gypsywoman6789
on 4/23/09 10:17 am - Hudson, NH
Depends on a couple of things.  Your PS will have his own guildeline, your insurnace will have theirs and you have to decide if its time for you yet.  Most PS's want it to be  12-18 mos post RNY but some will do it sooner if your weight has been stable for 6 mos and you are considered to be at a point where they are fairly sure you have lost what you are going to lose.

Don't want to have it done too early, or plan on losing too much weight after because then you'll have saggy skin again.

But I think 14 mos, over 100 lbs and stable weight in your case would be considered "ready" unless insurance is going to  insist on 18 mos.  Do yourself a favor and ask your PCP to start documenting your "rashes" know what i mean.  About 5 mos after my RNy I had my Dr. give me an Rx for Nystatin powder for my rashes and made sure I told him about my belly button infections too.  I was able to get my panni removal covered by insurance.  But this also depends on how far down your panni hangs for most insurance companies.
KathigME
on 4/23/09 10:41 am - Gorham, ME
Well, I can tell you my experience.  I am 18 month post op RNY and my insurance company (Harvard Pilgrim) requires maintaining stable weight for 1 year.  Next Month will be that year. I would give yours a call and find out their requirements. I would at least schedule a consultation with a PS.
Kathi G.  I LOVE MY RNY!!   
Mary Elliott
on 5/1/09 12:41 am - MI
Great information =) Thanks for sharing

6'0"/325/288/168/175
height/high/surgery/current/goal
My WL Journey & My Slice of Life
06/09/08 - RNY
11/05/08 - Gallbladder removed
10/07/09 - Bowel obstruction correction, hernia repair, appedix removed
04/14/10 - Tummy Tuck!!
DD