What to use in sun after arm/thigh lift

mpafford
on 4/21/09 4:39 am - TX
Hello all,

Well going on vacation in less than 2 wks!
going tropical, and will be in swimsuit. (eventhough I don't want to show my huge thighs) what are some suggestions for using to cover the scars on the arms.I had the LBL last summer, but never got to swim till middle of Sept. I love the way my upper body looks in the new swimsuit, but not the lower part.
I know I need to keep the sun screen on the whole body, but what could I use to help fade the arm scars?

Thanks,
Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
Tee M.
on 4/21/09 5:25 am - CT
I don't know how others were informed from their doctors, but I was told NO sun on scars for a long time.   I would tediously put on waterproof 50+ sunscreen on the incision line.  It really worked well because the tan merged with the color of the line and it wasn't as noticable.  I used a Q-tip to get it on right.  Worth the work.

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

sablouwho
on 4/21/09 6:48 am - La La Land, CA
I live in SoCal and I swim in an outdoor pool so I like to keep the sun off my body. I wear something called a rash guard. It looks like a long sleeve pullover shirt, except it's made out of water-friendly material. (Much lighter than a wetsuit, don't worry!) For some reason I'm thinking it might have some sort ofsun protection in the fabric, but I am not sure about that.

Surfer's wear these, I gather by the name, to avoid rashes from their boards, or from whatever they may encounter in the water that could cause a rash. (eek!)

I would imagine that they make bottoms (shorts) for the same purpose.

I find it's a lot easier to use my rash guard than to deal with sunscreen (which I use, of course, on the un-protected parts of my upper body). I also wear a baseball cap and sunscreen all over my face. That is my get-up for aqua jogging. (Yep, hat and sometimes even sunglasses in the pool!)
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

martamarta81
on 4/22/09 8:36 am
I had my arm lift 2 years ago this July. Last April I went to Mexico and put 70SPF on my scars every 1-2 hours and wore rashguards in the pool (just in case). I just came back from Mexico again and even went tanning before the trip starting in late February and my scars were not affected at all (didn't apply any SPF on the scars this year). Actually, the scars are less visible due to the tan I have around them.
I would never say go tanning and it will be fine, but for me, 1.5 years was enough to be fine tanning.

Have fun!!
* Lost 165 lbs. doing a modified version of Atkins
* BL/Brachioplasty 7/2007
* BA 12/2007
* LBL w/ MR 7/2008

Kathie L.
on 4/23/09 2:13 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Montie,

I was also told to avoid the sun as much as possible, which I already do. I have a suggestion for the cute little sun dresses and swimsuits however...using a self-tanning cream seems to lesson the contrast between my pink scars and white skin. I first put on my scar guard cream with silicon and let that dry, creating a nice first layer. Then I apply the tanning lotion to the area. It's really more of a camouflage while I'm healing.

Kathie

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Most Active