Is this the norm?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Johy0382
on 4/21/09 6:28 am - Homestead, FL
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but need advise!
I am looking to have my arms done and my breasts augmented and lifted...I went to my first consult today with a surgeon I absolutely ADORED!!!! I mean this man was PERFECT!!!! He explained everything, gave me realistic outcome ideas, I heard WONDERS from other patients and his staff...he was all over magazines and the like...his before and after pics I saw were AMAZING!!!! I MEAN PERFECT!!!!! All except his price!!!!!!! I got quoted $15,400 for a brachioplasty, ba, bl....WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY out of my pocket range! Here's the deal...my grandmother has offered to pay for my arm lift, and so I am trying to get a reasonable price to do both things at once. Now...in Miami, south Florida...are these really the prices I am looking at, or was that only this Dr and I can get better pricing??? I am just stressing because I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS DONE!!! REALLY, REALLY, REALLY and have this offer from my grandmother, which really came out of the blue and I am super psyched, but need to keep this realistic and $15k is just not realistic for me at all!!! Please tell me what to expect and what options I may have here to get this work done ASAP!!!! I mean, I have no choice but to keep looking for other Drs since this one is terrible pricey for me at this point in the game, and I am more than willing to look at options. I have three other consults scheduled next week, but will be very difficult, since I TOTALLY ADIRED THIS GUY, TOTALLY!!! But, I really want my surgery and my pocket cannot go $15k at all, no matter how hard I may want it to, so...... PLEASE HELP ME AND GIVE ME OPTIONS!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!
I have TERRIBLE credit and no one will finance, so that is not an option at all! Any and all other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

My son needs a HEALTHY mom for YEARS TO COME!
Proof that miracles CAN happen....I'm THIN!!!!

sablouwho
on 4/21/09 6:38 am - La La Land, CA
Read your post and can see you are very excited. ;-D

I may be a little slow-on-the-uptake, but I am not sure exactly what specific advice you are looking to receive? Is your question about the money aspect, the prices, surgeon recommendations, etc?

In any event, I think it's good that you have other consults set up. At an OH conference last fall,I was really taken with the first surgeon I consulted with...until I met the second surgeon. And I really REALLY liked this second guy. But then I had another consult and the third PS I met seemed like he was "the one."  I did 2 more consults there at OH but didn't feel like either of those docs were a good choice for me.

And even after the OH conference, I put the plastics thing to bed for a while because I was still too early out. Howveer, I started up again in spring, and met w/a few more PSs. I still like doc #3 the best, but it really helped to have some other docs to compare. I guess it's just due diligence and preventing buyers remorse.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Angensam
on 4/21/09 7:44 am - Atlanta, GA
Sounds really high. Mine was only $5,000 3 years ago. I would get other opinions and prices and negotiate with this doctor.

Regina

Almost to goal!
Regina

cbhjr98
on 4/21/09 7:46 am
On April 21, 2009 at 2:44 PM Pacific Time, Angensam wrote:
Sounds really high. Mine was only $5,000 3 years ago. I would get other opinions and prices and negotiate with this doctor.

Regina
Was the $5K for the breast lift, aug, AND the arms? My implants alone are over $3K - not including the surgery to put them in...If so, that's amazing!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Angensam
on 4/21/09 10:38 am - Atlanta, GA
5K was just for the arms. The BL and arms was about $9,000.

Almost to goal!
Regina

cbhjr98
on 4/21/09 7:44 am
That price actually seems pretty reasonable for a BL, BA, and arms... not sure in your area of the country. But I'm in Germany and stuff is usually about 3-5K or more cheaper here than there and my quote for all of that was $13K so right on target there. (for example, LBL w/ thigh lift (to the knee), lipo on thighs and calves ran me $12.5K - usually that runs $14-15K average in the states from what I can tell on the board).

Dont make the decision soley on price though - reputation and quality of work AND YOUR HEALTH means a lot more than a few hundred dollars in the long run. This includes someone who is totally willing to stand behind his work and take care of you after surgery day.

Good luck!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
BigCityGirl
on 4/21/09 9:12 am - San Diego, CA
That sounds like what those procedures would cost here in San Diego.  You might be able to negotiate a discount of about 15 - 20% - maybe.  Shop around but be careful - if the price is way low - there's probably a (bad) reason. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
w8'n no more
on 4/21/09 9:23 am - middle of, IL
Price IS important, but results are more important.  This isn't like a car; you are going to be living with this (including any complications) for a very long time.   You need someone who is capable of giving you what you want.  I paid about 10K for for anchor lift BL and gummy bear implants.   This included anestisia (sp?), OR time, facility charge, the actual implants, everything.  So with the arms added in, I could see it being $15K.  Just make sure you are getting EXACTLY what you want.  Definitely get 2 more quotes.
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
cleos_mom
on 4/21/09 12:05 pm - phila., PA
that sounds about right. I know it may sound like a  lot of money. There are some things that you don't compromise on & a plastic surgeon is  one of them. you  get what you pay for . just be careful when picking a surgeon go get your other opinions and compare them all, but if someone comes in extremely low check him out. If a Dr. advertises and gives out coupons beware.
Good Luck in your search 
gypsywoman6789
on 4/21/09 10:54 pm - Hudson, NH
Hello in S. Florida!  I'll be joining you soon.  We bought a house in Sunrise just outside of Ft. Lauderdale and have lots of friends and family in the Miami area.  Should be down this summer with any luck.

First, I have to ask if you ever approached your insurance company about your arms?  I have seen some people post on here that their insurance covered their brachioplasty.  If that is not an option for you well then......

I'm going to guess that in the Miami area there is a great possibility that the prices are higher for a PS, especially one like the one you described such as being all over magazines etc.

Now, I just got a quote (I'm in New Hampshire so this is where that Miami piece comes into play) from a PS in Manchester  (big city as far as they go up here) for the following:

Circumferential LBL, TT with muscle tightening, lipo of "muffin top" area, lipo on my back and the price was 12k. 

So I think it is alot of money for BA/BL and arms to be 15k. 

Even if you had the 15k I would still be recommending that you consult with at least 3 PS before you decide who you are going to go with.  Make sure you are making a decision based on solid information and not the emotion and excitement of finally getting to the place where you are ready for plastics.  Before and after pics are great, but everyone is different in how they will look afterwards depending on their body type before hand.

I think you should have some consults with PS out of the Miami area, it could very well be worth driving a little way North in FL to see what kind of prices you find BUT again, like one of the other posters said, price can't be the only consideration, of course it is hugely important but you also don't want to end up with some butcher.  This is why it is critical to have multiple consultations.

Hang in there and good luck.  Keep us posted.
Most Active