TT Thursday

Mysticsw
on 4/21/09 2:45 am - MI

I am going in for my TT on Thursday but I am not quite sure what to expect other than I spend one day in the hospital and have two drains.  With the drains, can you still wear PJ bottoms?  I am getting really nervous here.  Anyone who has had this done that can tell me what to expect?

Kelly V.
on 4/21/09 3:45 am - Galion, OH

I was able to wear pj bottoms with my drains.  I had 8 all together.  I had 2 in thighs, 4 in stomach/mons are and 2 on each side of my breast.  It wasn't the most comfortable and once I got home I opted to just sit in a moo moo for a bit. 

Don't be nervous!!  lol- I almost posted the exact same thing and even had second thoughts about calling it off!!  But everyone here calmed my nerves. 

The best advice I can give is don't push to get the drains out to early as that can cause some serious issues.  (ex. popping open a leak/hole, swelling)  They are a pain and we all HATE them but they really do serve a purpose.

Take these next couple days and treat yourself.  Maybe go see a movie all by yourself, get a pedicure etc...  Don't push yourself once it is over (That was my biggest mistake) regardless of your pain level.   

Good Luck and we will keep you in our thoughts.  Try to post when you are up to it.

gypsywoman6789
on 4/21/09 3:53 am - Hudson, NH
Hi there,

I just had tt two weeks ago today.  I had 2 drains also, thought I was going to have 4 but luckily only had 2.  Yes you can wear PJ bottoms with the drains as long as they are big enough.  I bought a pair one size too big before my surgery just for this purpose.  Some people just wear a nighty so they don't have to deal with pulling down/up pants when they have to go to the bathroom.  I didn't find pulling up/down the pants to be difficult but others have.

If you haven't already done so, go out and buy a 6pk of mens tank tops to wear under your binder so that it doesn't rub against your incisions.  I love my tank tops!

Every surgeon is different but mine let me shower after 48 hours even with my drains in.  Drains stay in until they are producing less than 30cc per day for a few consecutive days.  Mine were out in a week, I've seen other people say they had them for 4 or more weeks, depends on how your body reacts to the surgery.  I didn't find it that difficult to strip the drains.

I borrowed a bath seat with a back so I could sit down while my hubby helped me with my showers, once the drains were out I was brave enough to shower myself still using the bath bench.

Showering while the drains are still in, I used the belt off my bathrobe and tied it around my waist so I could pin the drains to it, don't want to let them hang down because that will cause very uncomfortable pulling.

My before and after pics are on my profile if you want to see them.  Feel free to email with any questions,  I should be posting my 2 week pics soon.

Good luck, you'll do just fine!

If you can, plan on sleeping in a recliner the first few days, just be sure you have a way to shut the recliner without using your stomach muscles! 
malynn
on 4/21/09 4:46 am
I had tt yesterday.  Personally, I only have big panties and a tshirt on but im in the south so its starting to get hot here.  I would definitely recommend a wedge pillow if you do not have a recliner.  A friend let me use hers and its been a lifesaver.  Just to warn you the WORST thing so far was sitting up in the hospital for the first time but it really does get easier every time.  I would also make sure you have a little table next to where you will be recouping with everything you may need..meds, snacks, vitamins, phone charger, laptop etc.  Makes it much easier and less getting up and down.  The pain hasnt been so bad as the soreness.  I feel like i've done a million situps at one time.  Good luck I know you will do fine.
Most Active