Drains are out but I've sprung a leak!

gypsywoman6789
on 4/15/09 11:20 am - Hudson, NH

Drains came out Monday night.  Right side closed right up but hadn't been draining since Saturday anyhow.  Left side was draining more than right but still well below the 30cc a day mark.  So I've kept gauze over the openings.  Did your Dr. put steri strips or anything over the openings or just gauze or what? 

The left side is still dripping slow but steady, should I be concerned?  I see the surgeon on Friday.

cleos_mom
on 4/15/09 12:48 pm - phila., PA
when he took my drains out he just put  bandaid over them and I took it off the next am
Loris
on 4/15/09 12:59 pm - Midlothian, VA
It is good that they are leaking if there is fluid.  Always better out than in.  If you need more protection use an unscented sanitary pads.  Healthy healing, Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

cbhjr98
on 4/15/09 6:43 pm
My left thigh still seeps a week after the drain came out. Doc told me just keep sterile gauze pads over it to absorb it and it will be fine. I agree with the other posters - better out than in. :-)

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Kimberlyd64
on 4/16/09 2:14 am
i am one month out from an extended tt and still have one drain. it is making me crazy having it still. i was doing 50 all week then yesterday it hit 70. today im hardly draining...
hoping today goes well and maybe just maybe tomorrow he will take it out...
IAMASWEETHEART44
on 4/16/09 3:24 am - aurora, IN
I had surgery on feb 26th i had a fulll hysterectomy with a panniculectomy had my last two drains out on march 19th and then i sprung 2 leaks one on each side on the 2nd so one has to be packed ,the other is kept dry and gauze put on a and a sanitary napkin over the gauze,it is working its getting better.
Dang leaks but the dr told me when he took my drains out that it could find a place to drain from better out than in.
Good luck
Kimberlyd64
on 4/16/09 11:43 pm
im 5 weeks post op and draining around 50-55 yesterday. with me asking today he is going to go ahead and take the last drain out. i hope its the right decision...
Kimberlyd64
on 4/17/09 2:32 am
well the last drain came out today...again i hope it was the right decision. it was alittle uncomforatable due to i had some scabbing around the tubing into the skin. sooo happy its out. as i was leaving the office though it drained down my leg some...guess thats a good thing that its coming out instead of staying in. he said that alot of the times the fluid will absorb into the body...fingers crossed :)
mom23reds
on 4/17/09 11:54 am - Bryan, TX
Cover with gauze and let it leak as needed. :D

I had my surgery 4/8 and I still have one of the two drains. However, it's still pulling 170 - 200 cc a day, so I don't think it's gonna come out on Tuesday at my follow up visit unless by some miracle this weekend I basically quit having all this fluid output.

Today I was given the ok to take a quick shower using the hand held to wash my hair (keeping drain site as dry as possible), and after my shower decided to strip the tube. Gah! BIG old blood clot type drain worm. Had to actually pull the bulb off the tubing to get it all out, but hopefully this will help the drain to pull better too.

Slowly but surely I heal. :D

Susan

Most Active