Need info on lymphatic massage

penguin5
on 11/3/08 3:25 am - Lompoc, CA
I know this has been on this board before, but unfortunately I didn't pay close attention when it didn't affect me.  Now is does!

It has been suggested I try lymphatic massage to help reduce swelling that I have almost 7 weeks after brachio.  My swelling is in the elbow area.  Can anyone tell me about this massage?  Does it work?

Amazingly I found a gal who is licensed in doing them and the physical therapy office she works at is just a mile from my house!  I called today and they can't treat me without a prescription.  My PS is out of the office until Wed., but his office gal said she'd get the scrip from him when he returns and mail it to me.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Lynda

LBL, BL, brachio and mod. neck lift
          9/17/08  Dr. Howard Gross

corinnaq
on 11/3/08 3:46 am - Woodinville, WA
Lynda,

I HIGHLY recommend lymphatic drainage massage.  It really does work.  It is a very light touch massage so don't go expecting to get a "normal" massage or you'll be very disappointed.  It doesn't and shouldn't hurt.   It's incredibly soothing and at least for me works immediately and has lasting effects.   Make sure you drink lots of water before and after as you'll pee like crazy afterward because that's where they lymph system dumps all the bad fluids once it's started moving.

You'll love it!!

Corinna Q
penguin5
on 11/3/08 4:54 am - Lompoc, CA
Thanks so much for your reply, Corinna!  Wow, I was expecting pain and agony.  I'm so glad to hear that isn't supposed to be the case.  I have NEVER peed like crazy since my surgery and the doctor even asked me about it so I knew it wasn't a good sign.  Hopefully this will get things moving.  I'm so bummed I have to wait until next week since the scrip probably won't arrive until Friday or Saturday!

Lynda

Sandra B.
on 11/3/08 5:17 am - Savannah, GA
My ps includes two visits to lymphatic massage with each surgery because it works so well.  I think it is an important part of the recovery process.  I just plan for the expense like I do the meds and the surgery cost. 
penguin5
on 11/4/08 12:19 am - Lompoc, CA
Thanks, Sandra!  I'm so excited to try this.  I have an appointment for next Wednesday.  I'm hoping I'll feel much better once I begin treatment!

Lynda

Janel B
on 11/4/08 1:40 am - Oakley, CA
I got, and still get lymphatic massages...I love them. Now that I'm further out, they can do more pressure, but when they get close to the incision line, they put less pressure on me.

I feel they've helped.
Janel  
penguin5
on 11/4/08 3:51 am - Lompoc, CA
Thanks, Janel!  I'm hoping that this alleviates the tightness I've had in my arms.  Seven weeks of discomfort is wearing on me!

Lynda

Most Active