What the Lymphatic Massage Masseuse Said

mwy
on 10/14/08 7:51 am
Hey everybody, how are all of my old peeps on this side of OH?  I hope everyone is loving their results, and if you aren't, hang on, things will change soon. Cool Corrina, I am sorry that I am taking so long to get back to you girlee, but I have been so busy that I seem to be meeting my Happy Lifted A$$ coming and going!

So here's the scoop.  Friday, I went to get a lymphatic massage for the very first time because the swelling in my tummy from the anchor cut five months ago is still bad by the end of the day and I look pregnant. Pregnant Smiley  Not exactly the look I was going for when I spent all of that money!  This masseuse has two certifications in lymphatic massage...a regular one and one for breast cancer patients.  She is so well educated and I LOVED picking her brain for an hour.  And the massage was a little slice of heaven on earth!  Here's some of what she said.  Our blood is pumped through our bodies by our heart, but the fluid in the lymph system only has movement to pu**** through.  When we have surgery, especially in the midsection of the body, the incisions produce scar tissue and it makes it hard for the lymph fluid to pass through that.  And if you have a seroma, it creates a pocket and that pocket ends up being scar tissue...she said I had a lot of scar tissue in my right upper thigh, and I told her I had a seroma there.  So my two areas of a lot of scar tissue were my anchor cut and my right upper thigh.  She did a scar massage on both of them to break down the scar tissue and allow the lymph fluid to flow better.  I could actually feel it softened when I got dressed!  So I go back in ten days to have another one and I continue to go until the swelling slows down and the scar tissue is broken down.  Of course, I may just keep going cuz it felt so doggone good! Wakka Wakka Well, maybe not when she was pressing down on that incision.

I did scar massage after my surgeries so they wouldn't be raised and helped to lighten them.  This is how she did the scar massage to break down the internal scar tissue.  Put oil or lotion on the incision.  Using the three middle fingers of your hand, go up and down in small circular motion using pressure as you go.  I'm going to say it was enough pressure to feel uncomfortable!  And be sure to get clearance from your doc before you do this.  This is NOT for immediately after surgery!  But the lymphatic massage is as long as you have permission from your doc.

My swelling is still bad, but I've only had one session, and it's not AS bad.  Here's to everyone who swells as bad as I do, Cheers may it all go away soon!

Mary

corinnaq
on 10/14/08 8:56 am - Woodinville, WA
Thank you Mary!!!  I actually did go ahead and schedule one so I'm going tomorrow.  My massage therapist friend convinced me it would do me good.  Now I'm totally excited!!!

Corinna Q
mwy
on 10/14/08 12:07 pm

Oh Corinna, you are going to LOVE it! Massage Therapist 

I hope it does you a lot of good,

Mary

Missvickie
on 10/14/08 11:33 am - Anchorage, AK
Hey doll, good to see you. Thanks for the info about lymphatic massage. My massage guy mentioned something about it last week when he was feeling around my incision and softening some of the scar tissue and adhesions around the mesh. He said that having the lymph interrupted by scar tissue can definitely cause swelling; I'm noticing a lot of swelling too, especially after a day of work, and it eased a lot after his massage.

Any excuse to get a massage, right? I'm so lucky that my insurance covers it and he works with my chiropractor so I get a lovely massage, then an adjustment and I'm good to go. Until I go back to work that is, and un-do all the lovely work they do.

Hope all is well with you. Like you, I've been busy. But I'm getting a revision next month of my tummy tuck scar; amazingly my insurance company is covering it so I get to have general anesthesia. Not that I realy WANT general, but he has a LOT of scar tissue to remove and I'm not sure I want to be awake for all that.

Take care,

Vickie

mwy
on 10/14/08 12:20 pm
Hey Good Lookin', how you been?  I am so jealous that your insurance is paying for your massage.  Mine is so crappy that they would just laugh it I even TRIED to submit a claim.  They're evil!  Devil

Woman, you had better get you some general anesthesia!  Scar tissue is still tissue and it is still surgery to remove it.  Plus they'll give you some good drugs! Wink I know you had a lot of issues with that TT wound, so I'm glad to hear that you are finally going to get it fixed.  I hope it comes out gawgus, just like you! Lips 

Mary
Vickie W.
on 10/15/08 2:45 am - Murrieta, CA
Is that what you ask for a Lymphatic massage when you go for a massage?  Is it different from a normal relaxation massage?  I go for massages at Massage Envy.  Have not been since surgery in July.  Should I ask specifacally for lymphatic?

Vickie      (5'3"-Starting Wt-275  /  now-165 /  (My Goal 150)
12/10/03 - RNY Gastric Bypass - Dr. Francis Essien
11/27/06 - LBL, Medial Thigh Lift, Muscle and Hernia Repair - Dr. Katzen
 7/9/08-BL/BA/Upper Torsoplasty/Brachiaplasty/outer thigh lipo-Dr. Katzen
www.bodybykatzen.com  
This helped me Heal Fast ** 
www.thegreatproduct.com/vickiew  

mwy
on 10/15/08 4:35 am
Hey Vickie, yes you have to ask for a massage therapist with a certification in lymphatic massage.  It's different than a deep muscle massage that works the muscles.  This is lighter and designed to move lymph fluid and break down scar tissue, two issues we have after plastic surgery.  There are some folks with very little swelling and then there are those like me who swell like a li'l pig Pig for almost a year.  But she said that after all of the surgeries that I have had, my lymph system is probably in SHOCK!

Mary
Vickie W.
on 10/15/08 4:52 am - Murrieta, CA
Thanks Mary,
I will ask for that. 
My DH and I are actually going to a new facility that opened up near our home and we have a membership for a monthly massage.  We are ahead several as I have not gone since my surgery.  So when I made the appointment I did mention to the receptionist that I had surgery and probably needed that, and she has scheduled me with a massage therapist that acturally trains other therapists so I will be sure to mention about the lymphatic when I meet the therapist.  I swell like that too.

Vickie      (5'3"-Starting Wt-275  /  now-165 /  (My Goal 150)
12/10/03 - RNY Gastric Bypass - Dr. Francis Essien
11/27/06 - LBL, Medial Thigh Lift, Muscle and Hernia Repair - Dr. Katzen
 7/9/08-BL/BA/Upper Torsoplasty/Brachiaplasty/outer thigh lipo-Dr. Katzen
www.bodybykatzen.com  
This helped me Heal Fast ** 
www.thegreatproduct.com/vickiew  

Most Active