REUNION THREAD

mermaidoz
on 5/31/16 1:48 pm - Canada

Hi, just popping in to say Hello. Am a regular reader, not so regular contributor, but you all know from tagline that had my RnY in Feb 2008.

Never made it to goal before started regain as weightloss stopped at 8 months. Wasn't eating sweets or drinking pop or doing too many carbs, but still I was overweight from repeat dieting since age 13 under doctor's supervision off and on. Finally surgery. Did help lose about 100  lbs but regained 20-40 before trying again to lose.  Breast cancer intervened 3 years ago. Not in remission for another 2 years, this OFF Board, including recently maligned people no longer posting were a wonderful help to me, so I will not speak badly of them ...they were extremely supportive and I feel very uncomfortable when the returnees here speak badly of them. Enough said.

i miss those that no longer post for whatever reason. Life is such that we move on and some things and people no longer fit in our lives. I will always be grateful to all OFF members here who supported me at different times, found everyone very helpful since my surgery in 2008 as a senior : I was 62 at time of surgery and am on record saying it is never too late for WLS. So glad I did it, am not skinny but am so much improved in every way, just slowing down with age...

My story's the same as many here, still having to lose weight even after surgery, but so much better for having had it.

Fond wishes and hugs to all!

jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/16 2:51 pm

Hi Jennifer

Yes we all have similar stories.  Good to be in the same boat with others.  That way we have support when we need it. 

lightswitch
on 5/31/16 6:16 pm

Jennifer,

I am glad you dropped by and hope you return. 

Laureen S.
on 6/1/16 7:29 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Jennifer,

I remember you posting occasionally, nice of you to come on and share your thoughts. . . as long as I've been part of the board, there are occasional squabbles, but most of the time, we mend fences and move past it and hopefully, thought I don't know the particulars because I think what took place must have happened before I hopped back here, the same will take place.  It's never fun when our feelings get hurt or issues cause us to get upset, but if we realize how the common thread here is about support for WLS and caring when one of us is hurting for whatever the reason be, then we know that our backgrounds are all vastly different, making us lean towards different things and that being said, tolerance is needed and adult behavior allows for the differences, most especially within our circle of mature folks (lol).

Happy to see your post.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

lightswitch
on 6/2/16 7:05 am

Laureen,

Well said. And, I think when those squabbles happen, it's best to regroup and find what's important and why this board exists. The most common reasons for squabbles are the same that cause squabbles in families (religion and politics). I think most of us have been very tolerant of some of those things coming on the board from time-to-time but when it causes disharmony, we must stick together. Fighting over those issues is better left for Facebook or one of those places and don't get me wrong, on Facebook, I sure do a little reality check for those living in lala land. LOL.  But here, we need to keep our focus on weightless....Thanks for all your support and sanity. 

Patricia R.
on 5/31/16 3:05 pm - Perry, MI

Ten years ago tomorrow, June 1st, I first met my WL surgeon.  I met with him to discuss getting the lap band.  He discussed the pros and cons of that, and RNY.  He then suggested attending the pre-op support group held at that hospital.  I also learned about Obesity Help there.  My surgery was on August 28, 2006.  Six weeks later, we buried my 40 year old baby brother, and found out I was to become a grandmother.  That first year, I lost over 100 pounds, finally fitting into a size 18 gown for my son's wedding one year post-op.  

In the past ten years, I regained 30 pounds, welcomed two more Munchkins, broke a few bones in my foot, fell multiple times, needing surgery once.  I also lost my older brother.  I retired from teaching Disability in 2010, and moved to Michigan in 2013, to be near my Munchkins.  Now, there is the possibility of moving back to Pennsylvania, soon.

I try to walk as much as possible, even though some days my foot hurts like the Devil.  My food is improving, but I can't kick the sugar monster totally.

Before my surgery, I was prediabetic, and on cholesterol meds, not I am no longer in danger of diabetes, and my cholesterol is great.  The only downside of the surgery is I no longer metabolize iron or B12.  I give myself monthly B12 shots, and have had iron infusions throughout the past ten years.  I am not complaining.  

Must scoot.  Muchkins have a ballgame tonight.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lightswitch
on 5/31/16 6:15 pm

Hey Trish,

Have fun at the ballgame. I am in the middle of getting scheduled for my second Iron infusion...the first one didn't raise it enough...but I am holding out hope this one works.  Funny, I don't have symptoms.  

We are a unique group of women, aren't we?

Laureen S.
on 6/1/16 7:34 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Trish,

Good to see read about your progress, sounds like things are going well for you and you are enjoying the grands!  I, too, spend my time between work, things to do and grandchildren's events, my son's kids are over involved (my opinion) in sports activities, soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, flag football and another one that escapes me. . . so between practices and playing, the only time I can spend with them is going to a game, makes it hard, but I do what I do and my daughter promises me that when her children get to that stage, she will let them try out different things and then limit it to one or two choices, so that there is a balance, my son and his wife are very focused on the "fat" gene and are hawks about sugar, label reading and activities for their children, it is obssessive and I already see my 10 year old grandson, sneaking food because he knows he will be told no in all likelihood, sad to see and trust me none of their kids is even remotely chunky, very much underweight if anything. . . anyway, not in my control. . .  love to be around the kiddos though. . .

Have a great day!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

Laureen S.
on 5/31/16 4:56 pm, edited 5/31/16 9:57 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Julia,

I'd say this was a success, brought a lot of old timers out of the wood work and perhaps others will surface, either way, thank you for the suggestion, reaching out to us and starting this and thanks to all who participated and I will try my best to come online at least a couple times a week, more if I have the time.  Best wishes to all, no matter what I lost weight wise, what I really gained was a group of people who totally understand the desire to be a healthier weight to live life to the fullest.  Here many of us met, we've lost a few, let us remember fondly, Annette and Amie, two women, I got to meet and who left their impression on us all, Nettie with her great stories of her Annie and the other black cats, her Tom who she loved dearly and yet would sometimes get under her skin. . . Amie who took on the care of her grandson, when first the mother of the baby died of a heart related illness and her son, was unable to really care for the child, she never shied away from being a loving grandmother and they are thought of often by me. . .

Funny thing, yesterday, I took my bedroom totally apart, I mean closets drawers, etc. and came across the insert into the Starbucks mug from one of the get together's and there were all the fine women, Susan, Jan, Janet, Amie, Julia, Annette and several others, what fond memories I have and the memories of driving to Arkansas with Janet. . .sorry I could not make the trip to Cali to see the Masters. . . either way, I just want to say thanks!!!

Laureen

lightswitch
on 5/31/16 6:13 pm

Laureen,

We need to do another get together. I love when I've met up with members in the past. In the fall, AR is beautiful and the Ozarks are just breathtaking. I will post a proposition and see if many would be interested and maybe I can find a place for us to rent a cabin or two.  That would be so much fun. 

I have the rocks that Jan sent me, and I remember her kind note.  We have had so many who have passed and it makes me more determined than ever to keep you guys on the board...it's necessary.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 451 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1267 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1262 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1199 views