Nutrition advice please. . .

karen C.
on 4/17/08 2:00 am - Kennewick, WA
I'm concerned that my daughter Erin, breastfeeding twins, is not taking time to eat what she needs to.  It's kind of grab and go at their house right now. She likes the Champion pure whey shakes that I drink. Anything wrong with her starting her day with one of those? It was a thought and wasn't sure. I know that regular nutritious foods are what she needs most and she is trying but sometimes  the day just gets away from her. I can understand how it does with two hungry mouths to feed every three hours. Karen C

Karen C

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/08 2:40 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
RNY on 07/11/07 with
Karen,  I am no expert on nutrition, but I did breastfeed my children & was an active member of La Leche League.  They are a very supportive pro-breastfeeding non-profit organization.  Here is a link to their site: http://www.llli.org/resources.html  IMHO, the shake would be fine.   I think she needs a well-balanced diet & LOTS OF LIQUIDS.   A little rest occasionally wouldn't hurt either (yeah, what are the chances of that?).    The pics are so beautiful!   I have always appreciated how sweet & specail newborn babies are, but these days I see how beautiful it is to see the parents as well.  Your Daughter & SIL are going to be great parents!  HUGS
Karen S.
on 4/17/08 2:40 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha Karen.....I remember when my DIL had Brocky (first baby). At 10 days she was eating a lot of pita stuffed with veggies and hummus. She said doc said it was good for her and breast milk, and easy to have everything on hand to build a quickie sammy.

Fruit, of course, is an easy grab and go....as I know time must be at a premium for her right now.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

Connie D.
on 4/17/08 4:37 am
Karen I can't see why the protein shakes would hurt anything.  My daughter said that when she breatfeeds her doctor recomended Carnation Instant Breakfast. She drank that every morning. It is easy to prepare and so good for you.  Protein is very important too...thus the protein shakes on the run and plenty of fruit too. Hugs, connie d
Darlene
on 4/17/08 8:33 am
Protein shakes are ok. I feed them to my grandchildren and eldery people around here that are lacking nutirition.
Women are angels.
...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.

We are flexible.

Darlene

Barb_E
on 4/17/08 11:15 am, edited 4/17/08 11:15 am - Grand Island, NE
Hats off to your daughter for breastfeeding twins. I breastfed both of my children......I remember when I pregnant all I heard from my mother in law was I breast fed for 11 months but you modern mothers don't have the time for that.  Well I thought I am gonna breastfeed for 12 months even if it kills me.  I ended up breastfeeding both of my kids will past a year and let them wean themselves.   I am so grateful that my mother in law encouraged me to breast feed my own mother tried to talk me out of it,  after my sister saw me breastfeeding and all the benefits she breastfed her last 2 children.  Her first 3 children were bottle fed. With my youngest (son) I kind of encouraged him to wean when he started patting my breast and saying "hot pop mom" that was kind of embarasing in public. I did find out the hard way not to eat cucumbers and onions while breastfeeding what ever would give me gas would also give the baby gas. Barb
Aime B.
on 4/17/08 7:29 pm - Baltimore, MD
One major bit of advice I remember was to drink whenever the baby did. She should make sure she is gettingin plenty of fluids.

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

karen C.
on 4/17/08 11:35 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thanks everyone. I'll pass on these tips to Erin. She is spending more and more time actually breast feeding. The first few weeks were mostly pumping breast milk, filling bottles, feeding, burping. Now she hopes to eliminate the pumping part soon. Then Josh will take over the changing and burping and Erin will be the feeding machine. Other than being tired (parents not girls!) everyone is doing well. Grandpa went over on Monday and is SUPPOSED to be home today. I may have to go over and drag him home! Thanks again, Karen C

Karen C

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/08 1:01 pm - east falmouth, MA
Sounds like you are a lucky grandmother too...Congratulations...Shakes with soy milk would give a boost too...She will do great..It cant be easy under the very optimum cir****tances to feed twins...But what a great gift it is to them... I yearn for the grandchild days...still waiting on my one and only son...hope he gets the job done !!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views