My 6 month doctor visit....

Brenda R.
on 4/16/08 10:02 am - Portage, IN
I went to Dr. Stanish this afternoon and things went very well. He even solved the problem with the kidney medication too. I was telling Holly his PA that my energy level was way down. She tried to figure it out but finally she asked if I had muscle cramps and I told her yes sometimes in my feet and that I was light headed and stumbleing around too. She thought that it was my potassium since I am taking the water pill for my kidney problem but not the potassium chloride since I couldn't take the pill because it was to big. Dr. Stanish called the kidney doctor and talked to him and the kidney doctor got a liquid one and he just called me and is calling it in now. Then in 2 weeks I have to go get the blood work for him. I have to get some more blood work for Dr. Stanish and then we should be on the way to where I want to get going. I talked to him about not losing the weight like I want to and he told me that I was right on track. He told me that I had to remember my age (I am older now you know!) and I was right on track and doing wonderful. He told me not to watch the numbers so much. But that is a hard thing to do since that is one of the major reasons I had this surgery after all. lol I am glad that things are going to be doing better. I told him that things are going around in my head and I am getting so confused lately. He wants me to go see a counselor which as you all know I am planning on doing anyway. So all in all things are going well and that makes me a happy camper.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter 
                        that tells what kind of life you have lived.

oh_c_card-2.gif picture by kittikat22

Cajun Angel
on 4/16/08 11:11 am - New Orleans, LA
Brenda, that sounds like a pretty good doctor's visit to me.  Glad you got some issues resolved and you and your doctor are on top of things. Debbie
Brenda R.
on 4/16/08 12:17 pm - Portage, IN
Debbie, thanks so much and I was very satisfied with the visit. To think that I was dreading it this morning.

Marilyn W.
on 4/16/08 2:09 pm, edited 4/16/08 2:10 pm - Memphis, TN
Congratulations on reaching your 6th month -- and with such success! It sounds like you're getting good care from your doctor. I also take potassium and feel so awful when it's low. I believe you will feel much better with the right potassium levels. Good luck on your anniversary goal. You're going to have a lot to celebrate this year. Marilyn W.
Marilyn W.
Brenda R.
on 4/16/08 11:38 pm - Portage, IN
Marilyn, do you take the liquid potassium or a pill? I hear that the liquid is terrible and I am dreading it so. I know that once it goes up I will feel better. I am just so tired all the time. I am so glad that his PA figured it out. She is one smart cookie. I really like the doctor and his staff. They are all wonderful and caring people.

Marilyn W.
on 4/17/08 8:40 am - Memphis, TN
I am pre-op RNY. I've been taking K-Tab potassium for almost 30 years. I also understand that the liquid is terrible. I haven't tried it yet, but expect I will need to go the liquid after surgery. My doctor says I should try the tablets after surgery and see how they work. I've been wondering if a compounding pharmacist might be able to do something about improving the liquid potassium -- if you have any trouble with it, maybe you could talk with your pharmacist for suggestions. Please let us know how you're getting along. Marilyn W.
Marilyn W.
Brenda R.
on 4/17/08 10:46 am - Portage, IN

Marilyn, I use to take Slow K potassuim for many years because I had to take Lasix for my heart problem. I never took it after surgery. I thought that I was done with it until having to go on a water pill because of the kidney problem now. I guess that is what I get for thinking. lol The pharmacist is flavoring it with grape. That is not my favorite but she thought it would work best since it is the strongest flavor they have. She thought that would help the taste better. I hope she is right. I will let you know when I get it and take it. Thanks for the idea on a compounding pharmacist. I will keep that in mind.

Marilyn W.
on 4/17/08 2:58 pm - Memphis, TN
I'll be interested in hearing how the grape works. Wish she could make you some samples of various flavors and let you pick one. Hope to hear you're feeling better soon. Marilyn W. PS: You might try holding your nose as you swallow. I've never been able to do this well, but I've heard other who say it helps.
Marilyn W.
annette R.
on 4/16/08 7:52 pm - ithaca, NY
Brenda, Good job! It is hard not to focus on the numbers and compare the weight loss to others. Do you take your measurements? We had a monthly ritual with the tape measure which was always kinder than the scale. Keep up the good work and hooray for doing so well. Kisses Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

Brenda R.
on 4/16/08 11:45 pm - Portage, IN
Annette, I don't measure myself but the nurse does everytime that I go see her. That is about every 6 weeks. So far I have lost 29 and half inches so that is good thing. I can really tell in my clothes. I can wear them one time and the next one they are to big. I love doing that!!! My blood sugar doctor told me once that I concentrate to much on the numbers too. It must be a fault of mine. I have to look at other things I guess. I think it is normal to compare ourselves with others. That is a fault but a normal one if you ask me.  I love to contine to hear you furbrat stories. Annie has become a favorite of mine. I use to call Misty a furbaby but now I call her a furmonster since she is the monster that I created. I did it myself so I can't blame it on her. It is like my mom said once about the little puppy we had. She may be a little devil but we sure do love her.  Have a wonderful day dear sister and I am sending love and hugs to you as always.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views