Six Months -- Where Did It Go?

Laureen S.
on 4/16/08 1:12 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Today marks 6 months post-op for me and the changes in these six months have been truly amazing from where I was one year ago when I began to pursue this life changing surgery in all earnestness!

One year ago, I was 254 lbs., walking for more than an hour to hour and a half was torturous, today I weigh 189 lbs. and can do a 5K in 48 to 53 minutes, albeit on a treadmill.  I can shop and walk around malls or anywhere for hours without pain or fear that my back, legs and feet will be throbbing.  I have lost a total of 44 inches from my arms, chest, waist, hips and thighs.  I was wearing tight size 22/24s, 3Xs, now wearing baggy, regular size 18s, time to shop!

My primary care doctor was very pleased with my results when I was there a month ago.

My family is thrilled with my progress and recently when I went to Florida to visit my daughters, who had not seen me since December 16, they said they almost did not recognize me and had no recollection of me ever being this thin.  They are proud of me, and my son, who originally was not for me having this surgery and who is not very complementary, called me skinny when he saw me for the short time as he was coming and I was leaving at the airport on my way to Florida.  I played and had a wonderful vacation with my 2 oldest grandchildren while I was in Florida, and my older daughter remarked on how when I was there last year, I used the banister to help me get up the stairs, while this year I was running up and down the stairs, chasing after and playing with the kids.  What's more, I am proud of myself for what I am doing, because this takes dedication and hard work. 

I am dedicated to taking my vitamin and calcium supplements, eating the right foods, drinking the proper amount of fluids, exercising a minimum of 3x a week, cardio 4x a week.  I hated sweating, but then again, I think it was fear and disgust when I sweated in the past, now I recognize that sweating means I'm burning fat and giving my muscles the workout they need to better sustain me in this life.

I have a tool, how I use it is largely going to determine my results.  I have hope that one day I will reach my goals, both weight and personal, I have demons to face, but through the support I have found both on the PA, Over Fifty and NJ forums, OH in general, I know I am not alone in this journey and the people I have met along the way, you wonderful bunch of "Losers", people who have helped me so much through the stages from getting to my surgery date, to listening to me moan about my stalls and express my fears, encouraging me even when I feel like I'm being a braggart, sharing my milestones along the way.  I know, that you know just how it feels to be ostracized, criticized, told by society that we are not worthwhile because we look different and most of all what it feels like to triumph over a lifetime of wanting something that until we reached this "last stop" seemed unattainable.  Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me as I uncover the real me!

If you are new, a lurker or considering this path, it is so worthwhile.  I am not done, but a work in progress!  This has been a doorway to a whole new life!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

MELISSA S.
on 4/16/08 1:38 am - CYGNET, OH

You go girl!!      You are doing great!!    Keep up the good work! My 3 months was one day before your 6 months.      Hugs!!

Brenda R.
on 4/16/08 4:20 am - Portage, IN
You go girl! You are doing fantastic! I had my 6 month day on the 10th of this month. In fact I am going to be going to the doctor for my 6 month visit. I too find it hard to believe the changes in life.   You Go Girl You Go Girl You Go Girl You Go Girl You Go Girl You Go Girl 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter 
                        that tells what kind of life you have lived.

oh_c_card-2.gif picture by kittikat22

Nancy H.
on 4/16/08 4:53 am - Traverse City, MI
All I can say is WOW! And congratulations. Nan
Ladys_mom
on 4/16/08 5:39 am - Muscatine, IA
You said it all, girlfriend!  Congratulations on your 6 months!  I am now out 9 months and reached my goal.  I am down 115# and like you feel fantastic.  I am so thankful for this surgery and the new life it gave me.  Congrats! Keep up the great work!! Randa
Lady's Mom    
azreggie
on 4/16/08 6:04 am - Tucson, AZ
God Laureen, You are such an inspiration to me.  Thank you for your postings.  All of them.

Reggie

Connie D.
on 4/16/08 7:16 am
Congratulations Laureen.....WOW you are doing an awesome job using your tool. I am so happy and proud of you!! Way to go !!! You will make it to goal because you are doing everything right. Doesn't it just feel wonderful!!! Hugs......connie d
jillysue
on 4/16/08 7:18 am - Northern, MI
Woo Hoo!  Congrats Laureen!!  I am inspired by your posts!  Keep up the great work girl!

One Day at a Time
Jill

Highest 288/Consult 282/Preop 275/current 150/goal ?????

Margo M.
on 4/16/08 9:00 am - Elyria, OH
i cannot believe that it's been 6 months already! wow! aw sister you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boogaloo
on 4/16/08 10:29 am - PA
Brag away - you deserve it! Congrats on your six month anniversary.   Lou
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!