OT: Creamed Chicken Recipe

karen C.
on 4/16/08 12:28 am - Kennewick, WA

This sounds good. It was in our local paper. It has 30 grams of protein per serving.  It's adapted from Cooking Light Magazine and probably could be adapted further if you so desire.

Creamed Chicken:

1/2 cup flour, 2 and 1/4 cups 2 percent milk, divided,1 cup frozen tiny green peas, thawed, 1 tsp dried sage, 1 tsp butter, 2 cups leftover cooked diced chicken, 1 4oz jar drained diced pimentos, 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. In a large saucepan on medium, whisk flour and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth. Stir in remaining milk.  Cook 5 min or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.  Add peas, sage, butter, chicken and pimentos, stirring to combine. Cook 2 mins or until thjoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in juice and pepper.

Makes 4 servings. Each serving contains 291 calories, 30 grams protein, 7 grams fat (3 grams saturated), 25 grams carbs, 73 milligrams cholesterol, 162 milligrams sodium and 3 grams fiber.

The flour and milk reminds me of my mom's sausage gravy base minus the grease! Probably why it sounded so good to me.  Only one problem: What to serve it over??? Perhaps a toasted rye bread slice? Or a few croutons?

Karen C

Karen C

J Brown
on 4/16/08 1:06 am - Omaha, NE
I have been on this Chicken ala king  kick, it is my favorite food, I boil Chicken thighs until they come off the bone  I add 4 boullion cubes to the cooking water ( about 5 cups of it, I take out one cup to make the Rue)  I add peas and carrots to the  cooked chicken. Then I wisk in 4 or 5 TBS flour in the left over water, add it slowly to the water, chicken and veggies bringing to a boil, let sbe honest it's gravey and would be healtier if made with corn startch, then I add some fat free condensed milk to make it creamy. I don't measure so it is all estimates, but the chicken just melts in your mouth. I have no idea of calories etc. I like it just as it is, but I must admit I do makes mashed potaotes now and then. Chuck hates chicken and balked at me making this, but I took it to him last night, with a loaf of fresh bread, and I made the cooked apples that were talked about  the other day, he thought he had died and went to heaven.
JeanB
karen C.
on 4/16/08 1:27 pm - Kennewick, WA
Jean, This sounds very similar. Can't wait to try them both.

Karen C

J Brown
on 4/16/08 1:07 am - Omaha, NE
P.S. It makes a lot, last week I made a pot and it fed 2 hungry  grandkids , my son and myself, and I had enough left over for 3 days for myself.
JeanB
Nancy B
on 4/16/08 3:28 am - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Hey Karen..that sounds divine!  Id be thinking that, to save using many carbs,                      Id eat it as a soup and maybe sprinkle a few croutons on top just for a treat.

Oh my..Id even likely sprinkle grated cheese on top..lol..there I go..I can never leave well enough alone! *s*

Nancy B

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ladys_mom
on 4/16/08 5:41 am - Muscatine, IA
Karen - it's great to see your smiling lovely face - I haave missed reading your posts! Randa
Lady's Mom    
Connie D.
on 4/16/08 7:09 am
HIJACK......Nancy.... Wow it sure is good to see your smiling face!! Hope we see you more often now. Hugs, connie d
Nancy B
on 4/16/08 1:33 pm - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

HI Connie!

Thank you! It really IS great to be back..just hard GETTING back once I was on the wrong path...but Im here now!

Nancy B

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
azreggie
on 4/16/08 6:19 am - Tucson, AZ
It sonds maahhvalous dahling. 

Reggie

dreamgirl119
on 4/16/08 6:58 am - Lansdowne, PA
Hi Karen, the recipe sounds "YUM." Do you think we could substitute the white flour for wheat flour or cornstarch?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views