Question about RNY for over 60

shaysmom
on 4/14/08 11:29 am - Franklin, PA
My mother would love to get the RNY done,  I was wondering about her age she will be 67 in July and I told her that I don't know if they will do it or not because of her age.  She has high blood pressure and diabetes and she is 100lbs over weight.  Has anyone over 65 had this surgery?  Thanks for info.
justlee4
on 4/14/08 11:33 am - Bangor
At my hospital...which is a center of excelents...the cut off for age is 65....

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/08 12:05 pm - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
I had my RNY at 60 and it has taken care of all my health issues.  I have lost 114.5 pounds and feel younger, have more energy and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of their age.   I would have your mother go for it.  The doctors check you out so thoroughly that if anything were wrong, they wouldn't do it but if you just have high blood pressure and diabetes, they would do it in a snap.  At least have her see a bariatic surgeon and see what he says. Hugs, Esther
Marti O.
on 4/14/08 1:49 pm
I had mine done at 66 years old and everything went very well. I also had diabetes and was more than 100 lbs. overweight. I am no longer on insulin, after 17 years of shots....very nice. I have also since had both knees replaced. My diabetic doctor told me that I most likely would not have lasted another 4-5 years without this surgery. You are welcome to cvontact me if you have any questions. Marti

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle"

Jan C.
on 4/14/08 2:55 pm - Cedar Creek, MO

I had surgery when i was 65 took complete care of the high blood pressure. My surgeon just did a lady that was 72 so i dont see that her age really has a lot to do with it. Mostly it has to do with the surgeon whether he wants to or not.  My surgeon says the older people seem to do better than the kids , i guess we are use to following rules better. ? You can contact me if you want to.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mimicook?vhost=community

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY
JAN COOK

Pat R.
on 4/14/08 10:29 pm - Sturgis, MI
I had my surgery last August at a "Center of Excellence"
in Grand Rapids, Michigan.....I was 68 yrs old. I weighed
303 at my highest, 279 on surgery day and now 221. I had absolutely no problems with surgery or recovery and I feel great...have so much energy. I am completely off all diabetes meds. Had a wonderful surgeon and lots of excellent follow-up visits.

Send me a PM if you need more info.
Pat

(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)
Done! Your Ticker: 
toogie
on 4/15/08 12:39 am - Slaughter, LA
I had the Duodenal Switch done at age 65, turned 66 2 months after having surgery.  No complications at all.  Would do it again in a heart beat.  Regina
Dave Chambers
on 4/15/08 12:43 am - Mira Loma, CA
My RNY was done at age 59. At age 60, I would have had to go to another hospital, as under 60 was the age cutoff for the Center of Excellence hospital.  I know many patients in my support groups you are around 70 who have had surgery in the past few years also.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

E velyn
on 4/15/08 3:31 am, edited 4/15/08 3:33 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views