OT:Location questions

Eileen Briesch
on 4/14/08 7:59 am - Evansville, IN
I can't recommend Michigan to anyone because of the housing/job market ... it stinks. I have a job and a house, so I'm fine. But the job market is crummy and if you're trying to sell a house, it's horrible. On the up side, West Michigan is very beautiful, but the winters are brutal (you know that); medical facilities ... Grand Rapids has very good medical facilities; airport is so-so.  You'd be better off moving to a south/southwest area for the weather. I have lived in Georgia and for the weather, it's warm all year and very humid from May to October (too warm for me). Gorgeous autum weather, though, I must admit. I've lived in Montana, loved it, although winter is cold and snowy, the snow only comes over the mountains in to valleys for a brief time and then passes. But winter lasts until late April-early May. Gorgeous area (western Montana) and I loved it there; would love to live there again, but again, jobs! South Dakota ... also lived there, can't give you any good marks for any of your questions because it's not close to anything unless you live in Sioux Falls or Rapid City and the weather stinks most of the year. But the people are nice.  I grew up in the Chicago area and it's a lot like Michigan ... more expensive, however, but the weather is the same, more crowded, more traffic, better medical facilities, closer to highways/airports; more smog, but then more jobs.  Hmmm, I think I've covered every place I've lived.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

George T.
on 4/14/08 6:14 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
weather --including amt of humidity or smog Virtually no smog.  Humid at times, but not unbearable (AC is a must though).  It snows once a year.  By snow I mean flurries or more.  Unfortunately, there are two seasons.  If you were to compare it to NY (where I am from) you would have fall and summer.
housing Lots of housing available.  Can buy brand new houses for under $150K with no problem.  Rent for about $800-900 a month (I believe).  I bought my house as a foreclosure at $56K in 1988.  Value is now $108K.  You can still find houses in the $100K that are not new, with no problem.
jobs available It is bad to ask me about this, as I am a believer in there are always jobs there, if you are willing to work.  And I know there are plenty of jobs here, but like any where else, there are too many people who would rather collect unemployment.  I am an manager of a telemarketing room (30 employees).  I field 7-10 calls every night asking if I am hiring.  If I like the sound of their voice, I tell them to come in for an interview.  A conservative estimate is 1 out of 10 shows up.
cost of foods etc Cost of living here is among the lowest around.  That is why I am not in NY.  
medical facilities Excellent.  Many major medical specialty facilities close by (Cook Children's Hopsital, Dallas Scottish Rites)
proximity to major highways/airports (for those family visitors!) Intersecting major highwas NS/EW
gardening /growing conditions Growing is good here. Extras Sports franchises in all major sports, to include a NASCAR track.  The baseball team in particular always has VERY reasonably priced tickets available.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views