OT:Location questions

MLONG
on 4/13/08 5:53 am - Wales , MA
What about Good Old New England ?? You can count on the weather Winter , Spring. Summer, Fall All are great Boo
Margo M.
on 4/13/08 6:15 am - Elyria, OH
want out of winter
Jean M.
on 4/13/08 7:10 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Margo, We love northwest Tennessee compared to the frigid North, but it is very flat (farm country).  East Tennessee is much prettier. In northwest Tennessee: weather - you have 4 seasons, but it rarely snows or gets below 25F in the winter; can be very hot and humid in the summer; the air is great compared to New England (no pollution) housing - affordable compared to New England (in the short time she was here, my aunt paid $435/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment, and 10 years ago we paid the same amount for a bigger house on 4.3 acres of land as we had paid for a smaller house on .3 acres in Massachusetts) jobs available - not great unless you're a farmer cost of food, clothing, etc - cheaper than New England medical facilities - OK, but you need to travel to Memphis or Nashville for specialized care proximity to major highways/airports - we're 3 hrs from Memphis, 4 hrs from Nashville, so not very convenient gardening/growing conditions - good if you chose heat/drought resistant plants that don't mind clay soil; a longer growing season than New England Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Margo M.
on 4/13/08 7:16 am - Elyria, OH
it's funny cuz i have never ever thought of tennessee...we currently live in ohio so new england is just maryann's ploy to get me there! my hubby farmed- dairy actually - for years inhi spast healthier life-- and we enjoy doing our own veggies and flowers but we are not planning on becoming farmers--tho i would love to do chickens...and llamas  or alpacas but they are expensive to start out a herd! hot and humid would lead to ac in the house!  hmmmmm... guess i could look at the atlas if i could find it after our last trip to wisconsin! one of our issues is that his brother and sister are in wisconsin--my kids are in ohio his kids are in texas and my mom is in michigan....so we looked along that "corridor" i liked arkansas but he didn't...we were on the east side tho -- i really truly want away from a snowy wet windy cold winter....i want abundance of fruit and veggies...oh and i don't wanna work but i haven't won the lottery!!!!
Jean M.
on 4/13/08 9:25 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Central A/C is a must in Tennessee! Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

hockeymom8016
on 4/13/08 8:31 am - NJ
I would not recommend to anyone that they move to New Jersey.  

azreggie
on 4/13/08 9:10 am - Tucson, AZ
I live in beautiful Tucson, AZ.  We have the best weather year round, except for about 3 to 4 months in the summer, but it's a dry heat.  It's not too expensive to live here.  There is everything you ever wanted to do here, including world class golf courses. ( Tiger and the gang were just here) A beautiful view of the mountains, and valleys.  Wonderful hiking trails to walk. The MOST beautiful sunsets in the world.  Spectacular thunder storms in the summer, that come and go. If you're bored in Tucson, you're boring. WE have theater, shows, opera and museums. Can't say enough about the diversity in restaurants, and world class chef's. Amazing resorts and hotels. I could go on and on.  I grew up in Brooklyn, NY then lived in Orange County, Calif for 18 years, and wouldn't go back if somebody gave me a house.  I love it here.  Can you tell?

Reggie

annette R.
on 4/13/08 9:31 am - ithaca, NY
Margo, The Finger Lakes are beautiful. If you don't mind cold, snow, freezing rain and did I mention COLD, it is lovely!! We are looking into relocating because the heating costs and my recent aversion to the cold is bad. You wouldn't have to worry about snakes ... I swear they ALL live in my yard. Cost: because we have 2 colleges, everything is $uper expen$ve Housing: excellent but you have to be cautious or end up living next door to noisy students Jobs: Yuppers - we have them Medical facilities - excellent. Plus we are within an hour of several other hospitals so we can pick and choose Airports: we have one right in town and several near by Gardening: We are farm country and in the center of the Finger Lakes wine growing area. Stuff grows well.  I will be interested to read what the others write. Kisses Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

seasheleyes
on 4/13/08 4:00 pm - Manteca, CA
This is another vote for Central Ca....  weather- excellent... can get very hot in the summer- 100 degrees sometimes, but it is very dry heat. No snow ever, no hurricanes or tornados. Housing is fairly reasonable- can rent a house for $1000 a month I think. Apartments are less. We have senior housing even cheaper. Jobs are available- not sure what kinds or the pay. You can make more if you commute to the Bay Area. The best thing about this area is the proximity to the ocean (1 hour west) and the mountains (a couple of hours east). It's an hour from SF or Sacramento, the shopping gets better every year (we have a Bass Pro Shop being built right now). We can grow almost anything here- it's the farming capitol of the world I think. People do move away from here of course- usually to get cheaper housing in other states. I will not leave CA- it's hard to beat. Julia
Aime B.
on 4/13/08 7:35 pm - Baltimore, MD
All I can add is Baltimore has Hopkins... the best in medical facilities, DC just down the road, and lots of areas where one can escape.

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1224 views