recovery time when you are 50 ish

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/08 10:52 pm - east falmouth, MA
Hi everybody..I am new to this particular forum  but this is probably my place.  I have age related questions.  Haven't had the surgery yet but hoping to soon.  I would love to know some of your recovery times and experiences.     I need to work, and have to plan on hiring help after the operation and am looking for a baseline in our age group.  when can you stay out of the house for more than a few hours without worrying about a bathroom  How long did you actually do the couch time recovery /  what was the pain like.  how long until you can lift anything, bend, etc... Hows the energy factor...    I know everybody is different but just looking for a little input...There is plenty on the general forum but it kind of looks like they are 20 year olds so I guess a bit more realistic frame might be appropriate.... I see the surgeon on Monday and am sooooooo anxious!   Love to hear from you all!  Thanks
Judy G.
on 4/9/08 11:20 pm - Galion, OH

HI AND WELCOME TO THE BEST OH HAS TO OFFER!!!

WELL I GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT TYPE OF WLS YOU HAVE FOR YOUR RECOVERY...I HAD LAP RNY AND I WAS OFF WORK TIL I WENT FOR MY FIRST CHECK UP....I AM A CASHIER AND WAS OK TO GO BACK TO WORK AFTER I SAW MY DR. BUT IT DEPENDS ON WHAT TYPE OF WORK THAT YOU DO...IF ITS A SIT DOWN TYPE OPF JOB AND YOU HAD LAP AND NOT OPEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO BACK REAL SOON....BUT I AMNOT A DR SO ITS ALL UP TO HOW YOUR DR DOES THINGS AND HOW YOU FEEL AND IF THERE WERE ANY COMPLICATONS....HOPE THIS HELPS YOU...AND I WANT TO WISH YOU THE BEST AND HOPE TO SEE YOU HERE MORE OFTEN...WE ARE A GREAT BUNCH AND ALWAYS SUPPORTIVE!!!!

HUGS

lightswitch
on 4/9/08 11:20 pm

Suzle, I had my surgery on a Wed., I think, and was on a  respirator for a day and a half and spent the weekend in the hospital, got discharged on Sunday night.  We drove over 6 hours from the hospital to our house and I was back at work on Tuesday.  I teach so my work isn't physical but the bathroom thing isn't an issue.  I had gas for about two days and had diarrhea for a day or so but not constant.  I think I may have gone two or three times but had plenty of warning.  My son had his surgery and got out of the hospital on Friday, and he took the weekend off and was back at work on Monday.  You will be tired but not incapacitated.  The tiredness is from malabsorption and as soon as you get to increase your diet from liquid to soft, you will get your strength back.   The pain was not an issue for me or my son.  IN fact, neither of us took the pain meds that they gave us.  In the hospital, they gave me pain medication but it was for a headache that I had from not getting caffiene.  I bent immediately but didn't lift anything heavy for six weeks.  The biggest problem with this surgery is forcing yourself to eat and drink and even today, I struggle with those issues.  You aren't hungry and since you aren't hungry you find yourself not wanting to eat.  I schedule my meals so that I will remember.  Oh, and I am 53 and was 51 when I had the surgery and weighed 340 pounds and could only walk short distances and had severe breathing problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, and constant joint pain.  Now, I am under 200, take only my throid pills and can walk miles before stopping.  The last physical that I had, my blood  pressure was too low and he told me eat a little salt.  Good luck and I hope you have an uncomplicated process.

Dave Chambers
on 4/9/08 11:21 pm - Mira Loma, CA
The answers to your questions will vary, with the individual responses, even within the over 50 age group. I had RNY at age 59. No pain after surgery, no dumping, simply no problems except getting used to the smaller amounts of food.  I'd suggest taking an "emergency kit" with you to your job. Kit should have changes of undies, baby wipes, room deoderizer--at mimimum disguised in a gym bag.  Never know when something you've eaten hours before can cause problems, or more likely, something you've eaten at work.  Try new foods one day at a time at home, so you can narrow down any offending foods. You'll have gas in most cases, so invest in some Oust or other room deoderizers.  Some patients have problems getting in enough water, food, or protein supplements. Some patients do not take their vitamins and calcium citrate, and this is a sure recipe for malnutrition in only a couple of months.   Follow the surgeon's protocol and I'd also recommend attending support group meetings. They help immensely.  I think older folks do better with RNY because we can follow directions better than some of the other younger generations. It's primarily the ones that vary from the surgeon's protocol who seem to have the most problems.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Laureen S.
on 4/9/08 11:26 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
First welcome to the best support board around! The bathroom question is really dependent on how frequently you need to go as a rule, though my suggestion would be to make sure you are practicing from now getting in a minimum of 64 oz. of fluids a day (decaffienated, uncarbonated), that will give you some indication too as to how often you will be in the bathroom. The actual recovery time will vary, depending on what type of procedure you have, open RNY is more like having a C-Section, then Lap RNY, there, too, it is dependent on the individual, if you have a high tolerance to pain or are someone who cannot deal with pain.  I was feeling so good by day 4 after surgery, that I overdid things, I was off pain meds by day 5 and after day 3 pretty much only took them in the evenings.  By week two, I was pretty much myself, only better as my energy levels were high and at 3 weeks I joined a gym and began cardio, under the advice of my surgeon and that too is key, ask these things of your surgeon.  They will tell you what, specifically, you can and can't do.  What I also want to stress here is individuality, we all react differently to pain and ability to do what is needed right after surgery, I was someone able to get most of my protein in and all of my fluids from the beginning, which contributes to the high energy feeling.  Bending was not such a big deal, as was lifting, though I believe I was told not to lift anything more than 10 lbs. for the first 6 weeks and remember I did have Lap RNY, it might be different for the open procedure.  The energy factor is variable, but most people from the posts I read and my personal experience, have high energy within the first few weeks. Wishing you lots of luck on your journey towards living a healthy lifestyle, as I said earlier, start practicing now for what life will be like later, try eating a higher protein diet, taking a multivitamin, drinking water and walking, as these are all things you will be incorporating in life post-surgery!  Be proactive now and you will reap the benefits! Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Boogaloo
on 4/10/08 12:15 am - PA

Hi, Good questions, unfortunately I think the answers are different for everyone, but for me it was sort of like this.  I am old enough to be on this site  and had my surgery almost two years ago.  I had my surgery on a Monday.  I walked the halls of the hospital the night of my surgery and several times the next day.  I went home on Wednesday and spent most of the day on the couch.  Personally, I found laying down more uncomfortable than sitting.  I walked every two hours for the next week.   I went back to work after 3 weeks (I have a desk type job) and really limited my traveling the best I could and I joined an exercise class at 4 weeks post op.  I also went to another city for the weekend after one month and saw a concert, toured the Pro Football Hall of Fame and drove back to Pittsburgh.   I found the pain to be tolerable after the first day and as a matter of fact didn't take anything for pain after 6pm the night of my surgery.   The bathroom was never an issue for me (albeit some constipation early on...) As far as lifting - I just followed my doctor's orders... Good luck, Lou

Lynne R.
on 4/10/08 2:54 am - Houston, TX
I had lap rny when I was 54, and I was back part-time in about a week. However, I have a very sit-down job and can easily go home if I get tired. Pain was minimal by the time I went home from the hospital. I was walking by the evening of the first day. Walking is a good thing. Good luck!

Lynne

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/08 4:02 am - east falmouth, MA
Wow!  Thanks everybody for answering so quick and thoughtfully!  I feel a lot better now.  I will be having lap rny.  I tend to do pretty well after surgery in the past and I am not one to let pain control me much.  So your words are pretty comforting. I am a florist and work entirely on weddings  and some times the delivery and set up is pretty daunting.  I've got a very full summer ahead of me and it's been scary thinking about how to get the work done.  Since I am self employed I usually do pretty much everything myself...I just needed an idea of what and how long I might need to hire help for.  Now I have a clue and one more obstacle will be dealt with.   I am getting more and more hopeful about having the surgery...can hardly allow myself to believe that even though I will have to change my eating and all sorts of things, that this time the weight will stay off !   I hsve lost 30 pounds so many times  I have lost count...I am capable of being a good dieter...Just cant get it all off and really can't keep it from coming back....What a gift this will be. Same is true of these forums...bless you all for the support..Thanxxxxxxxxooooooooooooo
CGWL
on 4/10/08 5:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Suzel, In your line of work with all the different movements that you must do, setting up, being on your feet, lifting and the stress, I would certainly get some help. I am also new to this site I have been on the RYN forum and the Ontario Forum since I am from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, but I am having my surgery in NY with DR Graber on June 5th and I turned 62 in January, so like yourself this is a good site for me as well.  Good luck.

Carroll~ HW 230/ SW 220/ CW 160/ GW 130
Plastics~ Mar. 30, 2009 (arm lift)

azreggie
on 4/10/08 8:12 am - Tucson, AZ
Welcome to you too Carol. I love this site.  Everyone here is so kind and supportive.

Reggie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views