OT: Have You Ever Used Detrol for Urinary Frequency?

Jean M.
on 4/8/08 9:17 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I've suffered from urinary frequency for many years after having frequent UTI's in my 20's & 30's.  I thought it was something I just had to live with, but a nurse acquaintance of mine recently commented that it can be treated, so I asked my PCP about it yesterday.  He said Detrol is used to treat overactive bladder but wants me to see a urologist.  I have an appt. scheduled for later this month but am curious to know other people's experiences with Detrol.  Does it work well?  Any side effects? Thanks, Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

fhgt48
on 4/8/08 9:27 am - Caldwell, ID
I was on it for years. I am doing much better now and have not taken it since surgery. the worst side effect I had was dry mouth. And that wasn't bad enough to stop the medicine. Yes, it works. It does not stop stress incontinence (sneezing etc.) But it did cut down on the going all the time and having little accidents because you can't get there in time. I don't know why I'm better nw, but I am.  I also had frequent UTI's and I have had 5 babies. I have been testing from end to end more than once. I have to be careful now to prevent another infection. I was on Detrol La which is only one small pill per day. See the urologist and go for the med. Diana

Jean M.
on 4/8/08 10:48 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks! I had stress incontinence before WLS which is pretty much gone now, but the frequency business is driving me crazy! Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Aime B.
on 4/8/08 7:43 pm - Baltimore, MD
I took detrol for a long time. Another option was to have Contigen injections. It is an in and out procedure. I had it done nearly 2 years ago now. I rarely have incontinence issues anymore. A strong cough or sneeze as opposed to just movement might cause a small incident. See the urologist and make sure you learn about all of your options.

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

Laureen S.
on 4/8/08 11:29 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Jean, I went to a gyno-urologist last April and he suggested Detrol, but unfortunately one of the side effects is constipation and within 2 weeks I had a bad case of it, so I stopped taking it, wasn't on it long enough to determine if it helped as he told me it would take about 3 weeks before I realized any benefit.  He suggested I come back after I've lost the bulk of my weight, as I told him I was going to have WLS and said that there was a surgical procedure, which would benefit my type of problem as well.  So we'll see what happens once I get close to goal. . .  I wish you luck and I'd say try it to see if it works for you, everyone is different and for you, it might be just fine. Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views