Fell into the carb trap..... Help!

BarbaraD
on 4/5/08 2:18 pm - Omaha, NE
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to but I'm having a heck of a time breaking the old habits again.  So many things just don't "sit right" with me since surgery.  I can eat very little meat, not much fish, nothing greasy, etc.  The things that don't see to upset my stomach are chips, cookies, candy, crackers, cereal, granola bars, nuts; all loaded with carbs.   I had surgery a year ago but have not lost any weight in the past 4 months. I am maintaining the weight I did lose but I am still at least 50 lbs from goal weight.  I could sure use some suggestions for getting back on track. Most of you seem to be doing so well. 
Barbara D.

Joan M.
on 4/5/08 7:47 pm - Lexington County, SC
I think the "carb monster" hits most of us if not all of us at some time or the other.  The best way to fight it and I AM speaking from experience here...is to get rid of them from your house.  Then load up on protein with protein drinks, the easiest way for me to get in.  I get back on track with protein shakes, cottage cheese with sugar free (SF) jam, shrimp with salad and salad spritzer dressing, I love the balsamic breeze or raspberry, and string cheese.  I also have hard time with meat.  I have boneless skinless thighs in crock pot which I will add a curry seasoning to and vegies and have later today after church.  That agrees because of the tenderness of the chicken in the crock pot and dark meat goes down better than white. Hope this helps and I know it works...I too had a time with toasted Hallah Bread where I wanted it in the morning and soon that was taking place of my protein foods and making me want more carbs.

It is His love and grace that saved and sustains me.
In Christ's love,
Joan M
Before/current/Surgeon's Goal/normal BMI 290/130/150/132     I am 5'

BarbaraD
on 4/6/08 2:34 am - Omaha, NE
Thank you Joan,  this sounds like good sound advice.  I live with my daughter and 17 year old grandson, neither of whom have a weight problem.  It is difficult to keep all those things out of the house.  For me, a lot of it will have to be good old fashioned will power.  I don't want to ruin everything I've accomplished in the past year.   I just hope I can do it.
Barbara D.

Karen S.
on 4/6/08 2:45 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha Barbara......I can hear your frustration and feeling of disappointment. I can't relate myself (I have the opposite problem...losing TOO much!) but I can sure share things I've heard in my support groups.

One woman said she was a year and a half out and had NOT had any sugar up to that point. Maui got a new Krispy Kreme donut store and she decided to just have ONE to see how they tasted. She said that set her off on a six month carb binge! Bad carbs will get ya! I think you have to go cold turkey, and back to the basics.......protein first (fills you up and satisfies much longer) and then GOOD carbs.......veggies, fruit, whole grains, etc. You can tame this tiger...I know you can. I feel for you having two people in your household who don't have a weight problem. It is so much easier for those of us who live alone to NOT have anything "dangerous" in the house.

Good luck to you....I know you can get back on track.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

BarbaraD
on 4/6/08 8:19 am - Omaha, NE
Thank you Karen.  I appreciate the support.  I hope to be moving to a place of my own this summer so if I can keep things under control until then I will be happy.  I think you are right, it will be easier living alone as far as eating goes but I will miss the activity in the house.  I have followed your weight loss journey somewhat for the past year and you have done wonderfully.  I remember when you were at a standstill for a while but you certainly have gotten past that.  I admire you for your persistence.  I can't imagine what it would be like to lose "too much" weight. 
Barbara D.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views