How old is to old?

dittohead2
on 4/5/08 12:46 pm - Marshall, MI
How old is to old to have surgery? My mother is thinking of having surgery at 69. Is that to old?

Jim
Brenda R.
on 4/5/08 1:00 pm - Portage, IN
The way that I see it is that if there is a reason why she shouldn't have the surgery such as health problems the surgeon will be the one to tell her. If she is healthy then I feel that she should have the opprotunity to do it and change her life. This is only my opinion and she should talk to her doctor about it. I hope that she will come on board and share with us. We would love to get to know her.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter 
                        that tells what kind of life you have lived.

oh_c_card-2.gif picture by kittikat22

Darlene
on 4/5/08 2:04 pm
That's a question for the doctor. I know some stop at 50 and some stop at 60 and some do it no matter what the age as long as the person is healthy enough to go thru the surgery. Talk to the surgeons they all have different protocols
Women are angels.
...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.

We are flexible.

Darlene

BarbaraD
on 4/5/08 2:05 pm - Omaha, NE
Some doctor's seem to have an arbitrary cutoff age of 65.  I think a lot of physicians evaluate the patient's physical and mental condition and then make the decision on whether to perform surgery.  I had mine at age 60 and I'm doing great.  I think there are some others on this site who have been a little older when they had it.  It really depends on the person.  Good luck with it..
Barbara D.

Lynn B.
on 4/5/08 4:41 pm - San Antonio, TX
My surgeon said he doesn't have a cut off age, that he has patients he operated on in their 70's.  (I was 60 when he did mine.)

quiltz
on 4/5/08 4:50 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Three cheers for your mom!!!  Too old is when they put you 6 feet under.  Until then, she is alive and kicking and finding new ways to define herself.  There are doctors out there very capable of evaluating her physical and mental condition to be sure she is a candidate.
Pat R.
on 4/5/08 9:04 pm - Sturgis, MI
Had my surgery last year at age 68 and had absolutely no problems. My surgeon says he has operated on some folks in their early 70's, but it depends on their physical AND mental conditions.

Pat R.

(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)
Done! Your Ticker: 
grammylew
on 4/5/08 10:42 pm - Jacksonville, NC
EthelC
on 4/5/08 11:26 pm
Jim, I am 65, and my doctor said that as long as your health will permit there is no problem.  I do know one woman on the over 50 board who had her surgery at 67.  I am on schedule for surgery at the end of this summer.  Tell your Mom to talk with her doctor. Cris
Rudie2
on 4/6/08 12:50 am - South Sound, WA
I had RNY at 70. Have done very well and am so grateful to be more healthy with all of my co-morbidities gone. Some doctors do have a cut off age, but others look at the patient's general health. Luckily, I was basically healthy. For your Mom's information, I went from a size 22 to a 4/6 and I am 14 months out. It's so nice to be able to walk up stairs, pick up a grandkid, walk fast with my husband. She will get all sorts of wonderful support from this board. Best of luck to her.
Rudie2
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views