Wonderful Update on Grandson's Friend

Lynn B.
on 3/30/08 6:41 pm, edited 3/30/08 7:06 pm - San Antonio, TX
Here's the latest update on Sergio, from WOAI News in San Antonio.  He's making wonderful progress.  Thank you for caring and for your continued prayers.  Love, Lynn  ____________________________________________________________________

Teen Shot in Head Defies Doctors Prognosis

Reported by: Aubrey Mika Chancellor Email: [email protected] Last Update: 3/30 10:00 pm

It's an unbelievable story. A teenager was shot in the head and doctors said he would never walk again. Now, he's at home and out of his wheelchair. His family is calling it a miracle. 17-year-old Sergio Gutierrez is an inspiration. After he was shot, he was in a coma, then he had brain surgery and spent two months in the hospital. Now, he's looking toward the future. Gutierrez is out of his wheelchair and walking on his own.

"It's just a miracle really," said Amy Brandt, Gutierrez's mother.

Doctors said Gutierrez was paralyzed permanently and that he would probably never talk again either.

"I couldn't move on my right side," said Gutierrez. He thought that he would never walk again.

Last month News 4 told you how Gutierrez had been shot at a birthday party during a drive-by shooting. Sergio remembers that night, when his life changed forever.

"Yeah, I remember it," Gutierrez. "I'd rather of forgotten."

He'll always have the scars from the bullet that went into his head. He's hoping the scars inside will eventually heal.

"It put me through hell," he said.

Recovery isn't easy. Gutierrez is working hard in physical therapy.

"They make me put on my socks and shoes by myself," he said.

Right now he's having to re-learn all of the simple tasks we take for granted. But Gutierrez said his determination is paying off. His mom said it's because of a higher power.

"The relationship we're going to be having with the Lord is going to be stronger and I praise him and I thank him all the time," said Brandt.

For now Gutierrez is getting back into the swing of things. His co-workers just threw him a welcome home party and he can't wait to go back to work. He also can't wait to go back to school.

As for the person who shot Gutierrez, no one has been arrested. Police say it was a drive-by and Gutierrez was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Aime B.
on 3/30/08 7:44 pm - Baltimore, MD
A true miracle!!!

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

BonBon1
on 3/30/08 9:21 pm - Somewhere, GA

I just wanted to say how glad I am this young man is doing so well.  I've been following the story since you first posted it, and am so happy he's making progress.  What a miracle!                                Bonnie

KathiKins
on 3/30/08 9:32 pm - CA
Well, what a wonderful story to begin the week!  Thank you, Lynn, for sharing this miracle of life!  Kathi
JudyC
on 3/30/08 10:04 pm - Harrisburg, PA
This is truly wonderful news!  It just goes to show, never underestimate the power of prayer and healing. Judy
Cajun Angel
on 3/31/08 3:41 am - New Orleans, LA
God has a special purpose for this young man! 
Linda S.
on 3/31/08 3:52 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Lynn, this is so wonderful!! Thank you. Hugs..

WHAT WE FEAR,WE CREATE.                                                                                                

Connie D.
on 3/31/08 3:53 am
Praise God!!   Oh the power of prayer. This is such wonderful news!! Thanks for keeping us updated Lynn!! Hugs, connie d
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views