OT: Kitty is much better!

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 5:32 am - Westerville, OH
For those of you who were kind enough to wish my old Kitty well, I want to thank you and let you know I really can see a huge improvement. She is soon to be 16 years old and I have her on human thyroid pills. It was really touch and go and I was so afraid I would have to have her put to sleep. I have been fixing her chicken and turkey and she has gained some weight back and is more active. I think the whole experience has brought us even more appreciation for each other. She is so funny when I give her her 1/2 pill. She manages to flick it out ... haha. So we have to keep trying until I manage to get it far enough back in her mouth that she is forced to swallow it. Then I have to hold her for several minutes to make sure she really has it down!!! She is so funny and such a joy!
azreggie
on 3/30/08 5:49 am, edited 3/30/08 5:49 am - Tucson, AZ
I heard that if you can get the pill in, then hold their mouth closed and blow a puff of air in their face they swallow it. Some kind of weird reflex.  It was a Vet that said it.

Reggie

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 6:18 am - Westerville, OH
WOW Reggie ... I never would have thought of that! I will try it tonight. Annette had a great idea too! She had me laughing about the "apllicator" ... haha
annette R.
on 3/30/08 5:59 am - ithaca, NY
That is good news Susan.  There are pill applicators you can get in a pet store or from your Vet, for a couple of dollars. They kind of look like a tampon applicator, work beautifully on cats. Smearing some butter on the pill first seems to help the swallowing process. The cats are so busy licking the butter from their faces that they forget to spit back the med. Our Joey cat has incurable gum disease and often has food issues. At one point he went from a hefty 22 pounds to a skeletal 12 pounds - he looked ghastly. I buy jars of baby food, plain meats like chicken or even ham, to help him keep his strength and weight up. Just a couple of suggestions. Kisses Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 6:17 am - Westerville, OH
tampon applicator reminds me of the "tampon angels" I saw once (they are cute!!!)

Thanks Annette .... you are a sweetie pie! I will check on this item She is getting pretty wiley and slippery!
Connie D.
on 3/30/08 7:32 am
Susan...I am so glad she is doing so much better!! What an answer to prayers that was!! Hugs sweetie....connie d
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 12:12 pm - Westerville, OH
(((((( hugs Connie )))))) I think she got better suddenly when I offered her some of my bowel prep ****tail mix! ha (just kidding)
Connie D.
on 3/30/08 12:29 pm
Susan...and I thought you only shared with me...ROLF    ROTFL  Hugs .....connie d
Brenda R.
on 3/30/08 11:01 am - Portage, IN
Susan, I am so glad that your furbaby is feeling better now. It is so heartbreaking when they get so bad and you think that it might be coming to an end. To have them get feeling better and do better is such a warm and good feeling to your heart. I am glad. I rue that day when I am going to have to give Misty some pills. She is such a monster. She only weighs 5 pounds but she sure is a 5 pound hellion!!!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter 
                        that tells what kind of life you have lived.

oh_c_card-2.gif picture by kittikat22

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 12:10 pm - Westerville, OH
Thanks Brenda ... my Kitty is mini but mighty also!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 478 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1289 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1278 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1223 views