After referral. What do I need?

Sara-Starr
on 3/18/19 10:28 am

So I was denied about a year ago, because I hadn't done a medically supervised diet in the last six months. So I've been doing weigh****chers, (with very little success), and I'm just wondering what they want as documentation goes, weigh****chers is almost all on the app now, I only went to a couple meetings. What will I need to provide them? If they don't accept that, can I just submit my diet journaling? I don't want to have to wait another year to be referred again. Is there anything else I need document wise?

(I was denied from the Guelph clinic, but this time it could be either Guelph or Hamilton clinic that assesses me)

Greatmum41
on 3/18/19 11:55 am

I'm surprised to hear that you got denied for that reason. I never had to be on a medical supervised diet before hand. Do you have any co-morbidity? Perhaps there is more than one reason why you we're denied. I would hope what you are doing is enough. I went through the Windsor clinic so I'm not sure about the process in your area. Just be honest with them and good luck.

Sara-Starr
on 3/18/19 12:28 pm

I don't have any co-morbidity, but my bmi is high enough that it doesn't matter.

I should have mentioned that I hadn't been smoke free for six months. I misunderstood the qualifications, and I didn't know I needed to be six months smoke free before starting the program, and not six months before the surgery date. I'm okay in the front now, that's why I didn't mention it

Either way she said I had to quit smoking for longer than I had, and complete a medically supervised diet that I could get documentation from, then I could get re-referred in a year.

Kath L
on 3/22/19 9:25 am, edited 3/22/19 2:41 am

Maybe you could have your family doctor touch base with them and get more details. Family doctors need to fill out the request for them to consider you. Maybe you need to go over that form with your family doctor.

Referral: Feb 14/17; Processed: Apr 28/17; Hamilton Orientation: July 24/17; Pre-Nutrition: Oct 27/17; Re-Do Hamilton Orientation: Apr 29/19; Pre-Nutrition: May 17/19; Nurse: May 29/19; Blood work: Aug 2/19; EKG: Aug 1/19; Allergist: Aug 15/19; Abdominal Ultrasound: Sep 4/19; Dietician: Sept 9/19; Internist Dr. Taboni: Oct 10/19; Social Work: Nov 06/19; Endoscopy Consult: Nov 08/19; Gastroscopy: Nov 21/19; Meet Dr. Gmora: Dec 4/19 Pre-Op and Surgery Class: Jan 09/20 Surgery: Jan 13/20 OMG they moved it up to Jan 06/20

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/19 4:24 pm
VSG on 10/24/18

I didn't have to do any prior medically supervised diet either. I had a BMI of 44.4, that was all that was needed.

I agree with the other poster, talk to your family doctor. All my PCP had to do was fill out an online form and I was contacted by Humber River Hospital about 3 weeks later to attend the next scheduled info session.

Lucile777
on 4/22/19 8:09 pm

Hey. Congrats on your success. Just curious: How did they Ok the sleeve at Humber?

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/19 7:32 pm
VSG on 10/24/18

When I first met with my surgeon, I basically just asked him if I could have the sleeve instead. He asked me why, I gave him my reasons, and he agreed. He said given my starting weight, I could expect the same result with either surgery anyway, and he was comfortable doing both.

Leslie W.
on 3/25/19 7:59 pm - Cobourg, Canada

They are looking at what diet plans you have tried. Weigh****chers, working with Dietitian, any types of diets you have tried, worked with a doctor etc... They want you to be able to demonstrate that you have tried to lose weight. Even you you were successful list them all. They also want to see lifestyle changes to show commitment etc. List everything even Atiken, any diet plans in books etc...

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
coolmama
on 3/26/19 1:45 am

Hi im currently going through the guelph clinic and i believe you were denied cause you have not been quit smoking for an adequate amount of time. during my orientation they said they would deny someone immediately if they dont quit smoking at least 6 months before.

Most Active