Two Days Post Op

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/18 4:54 pm, edited 8/29/18 4:57 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

Hi all!

I am home from Toronto and so happy to be. Surgery was uneventful, except I woke up with a sleeve instead of a RNY. I knew it was a possibility and told myself I didn't have a preference, whatever I ended up with was what was meant to be. So imagine my surprise when I realized I was somewhat disappointed. There are benefits and drawbacks to both surgeries ... I'm just afraid I won't be as successful with the sleeve. I just remind myself that you get out of it what you put into it.

I am really struggling with my fluid intake. I thought I was keeping up pretty well in the hospital but the nurse kept telling me to stop for at least an hour. She could tell just by looking at me that I was uncomfortable. I told her I didn't want to get dehydrated. That said, I didn't have much of the jello or fruit drink they brought me. I did a bit better with the broth, but I know my protein was way too low yesterday. So today I have been focusing on trying to drink a Premier Protein. Basically I have been taking a sip every 15 minutes, but I am still getting the discomfort. I realize that I'm still quite early out, but I really hope this gets better quickly.

Otherwise, the pain in my left side is pretty intense. Standing up and sitting down are the worst. Once I'm settled or moving there isn't a lot of pain. I'm just impatient I guess.

(edited to fix a typo)

Greatmum41
on 8/29/18 5:03 pm

Congratulations! Glad everything went well for you. Hopefully the pain settles down soon for you.

SweetRide1
on 8/29/18 5:51 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Just go slow. Sip constantly but tiny sips. I put my little "box" of Premier Protein on ice to keep it cold because it took soooo long to get it in. You can also sip milk. That will help get more protein in as well.

One day at a time. I promise you that it gets better. The first two weeks are pretty tough, but then things settle down and it gets better.

Keep us posted.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

JRo
on 8/29/18 6:11 pm - Cobourg , Canada

I'm glad everything went relatively well for you. Keep a positive outlook and know that we are all here for you if you need a boost now and again. Keep us posted.

~ j.

My Journey: Oct 2017 Referred to Ontario Bariatric Network by Family Doctor; Nov 2017 Received letter from Toronto Western; Jan 2018 Orientation @TWH; Mar 2018 Social Worker and Nurse Assessments (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Apr 2018 Nutrition Class @TWH; Jul 2018 Psychologist Assessment (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Aug 2018 Dietitian (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Jan 11 2019 Meet the Surgeon; March Scheduled surgery changed to Jan 29 2019 ( VSG )

kamac
on 8/29/18 9:40 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

So glad to hear everything went well!

The first few days can be rough, but it gets better. The left side will feel a little better every day. Pain meds help. Sipping will get easier. Don't get too stressed about protein these first few days. Main thing right now is just fluids. Sip, walk, rest, toot. You'll be feeling better in no time.

I was unsure about having a sleeve. Same worry, that I wouldn't lose weight fast enough or get to goal. But so far I've been pretty happy with the rate of my weight loss, and plenty of folks over on the the VSG forum have had great success with their sleeve. You'll do great.

Oh, and that fruit drink at the hospital was so nasty! Lol. I remember the broth and jello were like manna from heaven for my parched mouth, but that fruit drink was a big ol' nope.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

wrkinprogress
on 8/30/18 7:51 am

Yay! There you are :)

I was hoping we'd see an update soon as to how the surgery went and on how you were feeling. You and Kamac are my best resources since we all have similarities and you are both ahead of me in this process. It's neat that we all seem to be heading in the same direction.... Gurl power X 3!! We'll keep each other on track just like many of the veterans have.

I'm almost expecting to end up with VSG which is ok by me,,, the surgery is only a tool so I plan to just use it as that.

Sorry I have no advice for you but I'll be here to cheer you on!

Tuktu
on 8/30/18 11:20 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Welcome home! Hope the pain isn't as intense and subside for you soon. Walk, sip, walk, sip, toot! You got this! You can do it!!

Kathy S.
on 8/30/18 11:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery and get ready for an amazing journey! Keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active