Prenatal vitamins for wls patients?

kamac
on 8/2/18 10:45 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Hi gang. I've seen a few posters mention they take a prenatal multivitamin post-surgery. For those that do, what brand do you take? Was it specifically recommended by your local bariatric center?

I'm 3 weeks post-op, and am currently taking Celebrate bariatric chewable multivitamins. But they make me nauseous, sometimes to the point of throwing up. I threw them up again today and that was the last straw. I need to switch to something else.

My booklet also recommends "Centrum Select 50+ Chewables", with additional Vit B12, Calcium Citrate, VitD3, and Iron supplements. I don't mind taking the additional supplements, but the booklet warns the Centrum "isn't a complete multivitamin. Switch to a complete multivitamin after 2 months".

So I looked up the Centrum and the dosage amounts of the various vitamins are far less than what my booklet recommends. Why they recommend it as a multivit is beyond me.

Then I remembered some folks here take prenatal vitamins.

What prenatal vitamin do you take? Heck, what multivitamin, prenatal or not, do you take?

I should clarify I'm looking for a chewable.

Thanks!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Ginnny
on 8/2/18 11:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I take the prenatal vitamin from Costco. It's not chewable though. My labs (with the exception of iron) are good. I also take B12 and Calcium Citrate with D3. Vitamin C when I think about it.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

kamac
on 8/2/18 12:30 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, Ginny. Would that be the Kirkland brand? Did you take a chewable the first couple of months post-op?

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Monica9811
on 8/2/18 1:15 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I take the same Kirkland brand as Ginny. I bought a pill cutter and used it for first couple of months then could swallow whole. If you don't eat before you take it it can make you sick! Forget chewables. I don't think they are as good.

kamac
on 8/2/18 1:40 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I agree, I don't think the chewables are as good quality, plus they have a bunch of additives. Good idea with the pill cutter. Maybe I should consider that.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Ginnny
on 8/3/18 5:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Yes as Monica said, Kirkland brand. I never bothered with chewables only for the calcium cuz they were yummy. Also, I never had a problem with swallowing the whole pill, I didn't have to cut them.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

jayjen789
on 8/2/18 11:12 am - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18
kamac
on 8/2/18 1:11 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

The Jamieson Prenatal Multivitamin Chewables look okay. I found an old post from here where someone took one prenatal vitamin and one 50+ vitamin. I think I might try that. So my new vitamin regime until I reach 2 month's post-op will be:

1 Jamieson Prenatal Multivitamin Chewable
1 Centrum Select 50+ Chewable
2 Jamieson Megacal Chews
3 drops Lorna Vanderhaeghe Vit D drops 1,000iu per drop
2 Celebrate Iron + C chews (60mg iron)
1 Jamieson Chewable Vitamin C 500mg

Figuring this stuff out is not easy! At least not for me, I've always been bad at math, lol.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

kamac
on 8/2/18 1:38 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Forgot the Jamieson B12 sublingual 1000mg. I need to draft myself a chart lol.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

JRo
on 8/2/18 2:08 pm - Cobourg , Canada

I saw the Jamieson Prenatal Chewable at Walmart and was going to ask about it when I go to my meeting with the dietitian. It did look like a good option for a chewable.....

Most Active