Food for thought

crqvingchange
on 7/17/18 6:55 pm

I've just had my 4 year surgiversary followup with Guelph. I met with the nurse, and with Nancy the nutritionist.

My numbers are good and they want me to continue with what I am doing.

Some people on the forum asked me to ask about regain and what to do. Nancy said to start weighing, measuring and tracking your food, go back to Phase 3 of the book which is 650-850 calories/day and to start exercising.

She said that the Ontario Bariatric Network recommends Resting Metabolic Rate calories for maintenance are between 950-1100. Of course if you are exercising that would be increased. She said that if you are 5'4' eating 1000 calories a day and not exercising, you will start to gain. Nancy said that there are a lot of people that regain and she thinks it is because of old habits coming back, not tracking and not exercising. This appears to be the tradeoff for large amounts of weightloss where our metabolism is greatly decreased. I have read on the forums where people maintain at 950 calories a day.

We talked about establishing individual RMR's the standard way where you get a DexScan and the rate is calculated based on your lean muscle mass and BMI. Because our anatomy is altered, she said it would be better to establish RMR with a VO2 test which is done by breathing into a test meter as you are exercising.

At 4 years out, I am very happy with where I am. I do work hard to maintain and most days I do exercise. Building more lean muscle mass is my current goal. I remember where I was 4 years ago, and the thought of going back to that life scares the hell out of me, and helps to keep me on track.

For those of you that asked about what to do for regain, I hope this helps. The struggle is real, and contrary to what non-WLS peeps say, this is not the easy way out. It is about daily choices and setting boundaries for yourself. I know that if I gain 5 pounds that I am out of my comfort zone and need to buckle down. That's just me, and no judgement in what works for you.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/18 4:12 am
RNY on 03/26/17

I have Nancy when I go for my follow ups, I think she is awesome!!

lexxiblue
on 7/18/18 9:13 am
RNY on 01/11/12

Thanks for asking your clinic about regain!!

Truly appreciated.... especially for myself who is no longer connected to a clinic as i'm passed the 5 year mark and basically got "kissed goodbye" at my last visit.

crqvingchange
on 7/18/18 1:08 pm

Lexxi you were one of the people who had asked me about regain and what to do. I had you in mind. Hopefully this helps. To be truthful, I was surprised that the Centres are actually acknowledging how low the daily calories to maintain are. For once, she also wasn't pushing grains, rice and pasta. She seemed quite happy that I was getting vegetables and some fruits.

She did say that the OBN has not finished compiling all of the research data they have collected on us. She is not sure when and how that will be available. She did say that there is now a book from the OBN on WLS for the doctors that they can download. At least that's something because most GP's don't have a lot of experience with WLS patients.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

lexxiblue
on 7/19/18 5:15 am
RNY on 01/11/12

When i left the hamilton centre after my 5 year check up.. they told me what my caloric intake should be... between 1000-1200 calories... and to still maintain my protein of 60g-90g. of course, all along no one ever wanted to talk calories.. i think this is a learning curve for the centres as well as ourselves. i'm glad they're compiling something that our family doctor's can refer too and yes.. mostof them don't have a lot of experience with WLS patients.

thanks again!!

and take care of you!

Most Active