In hospital, gas won't come out. So much pain

Pikachu
on 5/3/18 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I had surgery yesterday at 1:30pm, it was originally scheduled for 11:30am but there was an emergency surgery so it was delayed. Anyways since i woke up i've been having horrible abdominal pain, they say that's the gas pain. All of yesterday I walked like crazy, probably more then anyone else on my floor. I started feeling a bit better.

Fast forward to this morning when i woke up (around 7am) I was in excruciating pain. My abdominal pain seemed to have gotten worse. so I asked for some pain medication and went to walk again. As i'm walking today I begin to realize that my shoulders kill. Not when I lay down or anything else, just when I try to walk. The abdominal pain hurts so bad I'm now crying cause nothing i'm doing seems to help. The nurse tries to switch me to liquid Tylenol to see if it'll help. But other then the sleepiness I'm still in so much pain and it won't go.

Everyone says it's gas pain which I get but do you guys have any tips or tricks for letting the gas out?? I've been walking and drinking nonstop but the pain is still there. I can't seem to pass any gas or even a little burp for the life of me? Are there any medications that helped you? What about gas x? Any advice will be kindly taken because I'm suffering right now

BB78
on 5/3/18 3:30 pm

Congrats on your surgery. I went through a lot of hot towels they eased the pain, don't think they helped with the gas being released but neither did the meds. It was my second night at 2 am that the gas started to come. Good luck

Scary.Airy
on 5/3/18 3:40 pm

I asked the nurse about bringing GasX and she told me that the gas pain we get is not the kind from digestion.. it's because gas is blown into the cavity. So GasX won't do anything (it's for digestive system gas).

I have read heating pads, hot towels, upping your pain meds, walking (I know you're trying) and moving as much as possible (ie. will a nurse help you to very carefully bend or twist a bit in a way that does not hurt your incisions? jiggle around those air bubbles?

I hope you get relief really soon! What if you get into bed and kind of curl up fetal on your side? My friend always toots when she lies on her stomach, hahaha, but I don't think you can do that with incisions?

SweetRide1
on 5/3/18 4:12 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Trying pulling your knees up like you are walking up stairs. That's what finally got the gas moving for me. It's kind of like a colicky baby. You know how colicky babies pull their legs up. It helps.

Make sure you tell them before you go home that you have not been able to pass gas. It's important that they know that.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

crqvingchange
on 5/3/18 7:22 pm

The gas is from the air when they inflate your abdomen. It can travel up by the shoulders and hurt like crazy. Walking helps your body metabolize that gas and dissipate it, but it takes time. By tomorrow morning it should start to feel better. Hang in there, this will get better. Some people has it worse than others and it can be brutal. It can happen with any laparoscopic operation. They usually have a blanket warmer on all of the wards. Ask if you can have a warm blanket for your abdomen and one for your shoulders. If the Tylenol isn't helping, ask the nurse to get an order from the doctor for some stronger pain meds until this passes. Sending hugs.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

TheRealMeWithin
on 5/4/18 5:40 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

when you are lying down, try to lay on your left side if you can. Someone gave me that tip and it really helped me.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

crqvingchange
on 5/4/18 8:06 am

How are you feeling this morning? Any improvement?

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Pikachu
on 5/4/18 8:14 am

I'm back home today, some improvement but not much. I tried a heating pad, laying on my sides, and others. I just sat on the toilet for 10 minutes here at home and passed some gas. I'm still uncomfortable and really hope this stage passes quickly.

crqvingchange
on 5/4/18 9:59 am

I'm glad you're home, but sorry that you are still in pain. Is the pain still in your shoulders? Sending you hugs.

Hope_is_all_I_need
on 5/4/18 9:43 am

My gas pain seem to settle in my chest more than my lower stomach and was burping more than passing gas. When I walked I held my arms over my head. For me it helped:) Don't worry relief will come!

Orientation Oct 24, 2017 at Humber; Meet surgeon Dec 12/17. Internist Jan 24/18; SW/Nut/nurse appt Feb 15/18;surgery March 19/18

Opti -12; M1 -25; M2 -18; M3- 18 M4-9 M5-11 M6-7

Most Active